    How do I get these libraries on my machine?

    Thank you,
    Douglass Turner
    Douglass Turner, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Douglass Turner

    Paul Boddie Guest

    (Douglass Turner) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to install a statistics package called RSPython that
    > requires a python shared library to be present on my SuSE 8.1 linux
    > box. My python is provide as an RPM package and as far as I can tell
    > there is no libpython.a or libpython.so. What gives?

    What does "locate libpython" give you? I'd expect those libraries to
    be under /usr/lib on most modern (GNU/)Linux distributions, but
    possibly not with exactly those names. The presence of a shared
    library is a comparatively recent luxury, and I wouldn't expect that
    to be there for releases of Python earlier than 2.3.

    > How do I get these libraries on my machine?

    The chances are that they do exist, but with more specific names, as
    the following path illustrates:

    /usr/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.a

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Sep 4, 2003