Using pyTTS with other languages.

simon kagwe

Hi,

I would like to create a TTS program for a local (Kenyan) language. I have
installed pyTTS on my computer and it works perfectly with English sentences.
However, my language is very different from English (sylabbles, pronounciation
etc.) How can I go about having a TTS program that correctly speaks my language?
Can pyTTS do this?

I need all the help I can get.

Regards,
Simon.

kyosohma

Hi,

I would like to create a TTS program for a local (Kenyan) language. I have
installed pyTTS on my computer and it works perfectly with English sentences.
However, my language is very different from English (sylabbles, pronounciation
etc.) How can I go about having a TTS program that correctly speaks my language?
Can pyTTS do this?

I need all the help I can get.

Regards,
Simon.

Hi Simon,

I am pretty sure pyTTS can do this. It has a method to tell it how to
pronounce words. See the following article:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~parente/tech/tr02.shtml

It describes how to use mis-spelled words to force correct
pronunciation as well as how to do it with XML.

Mike

simon kagwe

It describes how to use mis-spelled words to force correct
pronunciation as well as how to do it with XML.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I had already read that article. I thought the mis-spelling and
XML are meant to deal with pronunciation of English words. Will it really
handle pronunciation of words of a whole new language?
For example, if I want to say 'good' in Zulu, I may end up saying a word that
has entirely different phenomes (and throw in some clicking sounds like in
those 'God's must be crazy' movies). For my language, I have already collected
recordings of its syllables and some words. I tried it out with pyTTS and it
pronounces some words completely different they aren't even close to the way
they should be.