    conditions..
    thanks in advance
    madan chowdary

    madan, Jul 25, 2006

  2. madan

    Guest

    why dont u use cookies?

    madan wrote:
    > hi all,
    > i have created a user screen which when one logs in can access some
    > applications and logs out..
    > but my problem is when i press back button on my browser i am going
    > back to my user page..this should not happen..i must get a error
    > message that u are logged out or login screen must appear...
    > can any one please guide me how should i approch for such kind of
    > conditions..
    > thanks in advance
    > madan chowdary

    , Jul 25, 2006

  3. madan

    Guest

    yep...i want to create sessions rether than going for cookies...

    , Jul 25, 2006
  4. wrote in news:1153834667.772755.248810
    @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

    > yep...i want to create sessions rether than going for cookies...

    What does that even mean?

    Please quote an appropriate amount of context.

    * Cookies and session management go hand in hand in most cases.

    * CGI questions are off-topic in this newsgroup. Methods for managing CGI
    sessions are independent of the particular language used to implement them,
    and should be discussed in a CGI group.

    * On the other hand, if you have some Perl code that is, say, using
    CGI::Session, and is not behaving as you expect, then by all means, ask a
    specific question, *AFTER* reading the posting guidelines for this group.

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 25, 2006
  5. A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > * CGI questions are off-topic in this newsgroup.

    Only if they have no Perl content.

    > Methods for managing CGI
    > sessions are independent of the particular language used to implement them,
    > and should be discussed in a CGI group.

    How to do it in Perl is well as on-topic here as are e.g.
    - how to send emails using Perl,
    - how to access a database using Perl, or
    - how to parse a text file using Perl.

    > * On the other hand, if you have some Perl code that is, say, using
    > CGI::Session, and is not behaving as you expect, then by all means, ask a
    > specific question, *AFTER* reading the posting guidelines for this group.

    Precisely.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 25, 2006
  6. A. Sinan Unur, Jul 25, 2006
  7. Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 25, 2006
  8. Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote in news:4in3alF4clkvU1
    @individual.net:

    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >> Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote in

    >>>Only if they have no Perl content.

    >> There was no Perl content in the OP:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/c81bcc45d6684b5b

    > True, but that does not make the above unqualified statement correct.

    No, but the rest of the message explained what to do to make the post
    topical. I did not see the point of your correction, especially given that
    I stated, in the same post:

    On the other hand, if you have some Perl code that is, say, using
    CGI::Session, and is not behaving as you expect, then by all means,
    ask a specific question, *AFTER* reading the posting guidelines for
    this group.

    I still do not see the point of your correction. Not every fact needs to be
    mentioned in the same sentence, and, overall, my response did convey the
    fact that Perl questions might have something to do with CGI are not ruled
    out, just CGI questions that have no Perl content.

    I am going to stop now.

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 25, 2006
  9. A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >>A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    >>>There was no Perl content in the OP:
    >>>
    >>>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/c81bcc45d6684b5b

    >>True, but that does not make the above unqualified statement correct.

    > No, but the rest of the message explained what to do to make the post
    > topical. I did not see the point of your correction,

    Maybe I'm oversensitive...

    > my response did convey the
    > fact that Perl questions might have something to do with CGI are not ruled
    > out, just CGI questions that have no Perl content.

    Unfortunately, that's not an undisputed fact. I often see remarks here,
    apparently with the aim to discourage people from posting anything CGI
    related. That's the reason for my oversensitiveness.

    OTOH, you often post helpful replies to CGI related Perl questions, so
    it was kind of unfair to 'pick' on you. Sorry about that. ;-)

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 25, 2006
  10. madan

    madan Guest

    guyz please...

    i was just asking for help from u but not to argue that the message is
    totally out of subject from this group....

    the main thing is i am doing on perl as well as CGI....

    think CGI.pm is part of perl and how does that move away from this
    group topic....

    if at all u know the logic please do post ...but dont just say its
    totally junk for this group..

    k..i am using perl 5.6 on windows using apache server....

    i need to create sessions but not using cookies...

    please help me on this how to go with it...

    thanks in advance..

    madan

    madan, Jul 26, 2006
  11. madan

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth "madan" <>:
    <snip illiterate wibble>

    Please stop changing your From: address.

    Ben

    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx

    Ben Morrow, Jul 26, 2006
  12. madan wrote:
    > think CGI.pm is part of perl and how does that move away from this
    > group topic....

    It doesn't. But discussing alternative techniques for session management
    is off-topic. (One appropriate group for such a discussion is
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi.)

    Helping out to code it in Perl would be on-topic, though.

    > if at all u know the logic please do post

    As Sinan explained, cookies are typically used for session management.
    There are CPAN modules available for such solutions.

    > i need to create sessions but not using cookies...

    [OT: Then you can use hidden form fields.]

    Please feel free to come back if you would encounter difficulties when
    coding whatever route you decide to go. But first, please study and
    follow the clpmisc posting guidelines:
    http://www.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc/clpmisc_guidelines.html

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 26, 2006
  13. madan

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 07/25/2006 11:19 PM, madan wrote:
    > [...]
    > i need to create sessions but not using cookies...
    > [...]

    Sorry, you'll almost certainly have to use at least one cookie
    for sessions to work[0].

    These modules may help you with sessions:
    CGI::Session
    Storable
    FreezeThaw
    Data::Dumper

    --
    [0] Unless you use URL session id's--very complicated.

    Mumia W., Jul 26, 2006
  14. madan

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On 26 Jul 2006, wrote:

    > k..i am using perl 5.6 on windows using apache server....
    >
    > i need to create sessions but not using cookies...

    I think you should look at the HTTP specification. You'll see why
    session management without cookies is very difficult - HTTP is a
    stateless (mostly) protocol. Perl has lots of ways to deal with
    cookies, and you'll have to learn them. If you are under Apache and
    just starting to write your code, you can also consider mod_perl,
    which usually has better performance, and has built-in facilities for
    a lot of the session management. If your code is mostly written
    already, it may be difficult to move it to mod_perl if you don't have
    a lot of Perl experience.

    Ted

    Ted Zlatanov, Jul 26, 2006
  15. madan <> wrote:
    > guyz please...
    >
    > i was just asking for help from u but not to argue

    Please choose one posting address and stick with it.

    It is difficult to killfile your moving target.

    Thank you.

    > if at all u know the logic please do post ...but dont just say its
    > totally junk for this group..

    It's totally junk for this group.

    (I don't take direction very well.)

    --