Using Tables for Layout

Chris Morris

Leif K-Brooks said:
But blind people won't be able to use your site.

When I've tested screen readers, etc, table layout was one of the few
accessibility issues that _didn't_ cause a major problem [1]. Provided it
linearised sensibly, obviously.

[1] Still occasionally a problem if there's a mix of data and layout
tables on the same page, but of the things to fix if good audio
rendering is your target, converting [properly linearising] tables to
CSS is fairly low down the list.

Plenty of good reasons to use CSS layout (the main advantage I've
found has been for low width graphical browsers), but audio display
isn't really one of them.

Barefoot Kid

| >> Your loss.
| >
| >his choice
|
| I used tables with CSS, just to piss people off. :)

u r evil :p

Kris

Nice looking, but:

* Can't re-size the browser window[/QUOTE]

Your hands are tied? I have no trouble with that at all.
* Can't re-size the text

Not really a CSS issue. More of a browser bug issue. I have no trouble
sizing the text with my Safari. I agree though, that responsible authors
use % or ems for specifying font-sizes.
* Uses techniques that hinder accessibility

Like?

Kris

Nicolai P. Zwar

Kris said:
Nice looking, but:

* Can't re-size the browser window

Your hands are tied? I have no trouble with that at all.[/QUOTE]

Neither have I.
Not really a CSS issue. More of a browser bug issue. I have no trouble
sizing the text with my Safari. I agree though, that responsible authors
use % or ems for specifying font-sizes.

Generally and in most cases, yes, though this site is about the design
and layout capabilities of CSS, so I can see why there are sometimes
fixed font sizes used. The CSS Zen Garden is a wonderful site, though, a
demonstration of what CSS can accomplish. There are quite a few style
sheets there already, and everybody is invited to present his own
stylesheet, in which one can specify font size any way one wishes. ;)

Nicolai P. Zwar

jake said:
Nice looking, but:

* Can't re-size the browser window
* Can't re-size the text
* Uses techniques that hinder accessibility

Like what? The site is perfectly accessible even with a text browser and
it features dozens of alternate designs that are easily changed; in case
you have trouble reading one, just pick another. Or, turn the style
sheet off and you still have a totally valid, fully usable strict XHTML
document.
Really, if one is so terribly disabled that one cannot read the page
with _any_ of the offered style sheet designs but uses at the same time
a browser that doesn't even allow to turn off style sheets altogether or
use one's own, one is simply too damn stupid for the web.

jake

Kris said:
Nice looking, but:

* Can't re-size the browser window

Your hands are tied? I have no trouble with that at all.[/QUOTE]

You're saying that you can re-size your browser window without losing
any page content? I'd love to see a screen-capture.
Not really a CSS issue. More of a browser bug issue. I have no trouble
sizing the text with my Safari. I agree though, that responsible authors
use % or ems for specifying font-sizes.

It's an issue with IE users. If the text can't be re-sized so that it's
readable, the page rather loses it purpose.

jake

Nicolai P. Zwar said:
Neither have I.

Generally and in most cases, yes, though this site is about the design
and layout capabilities of CSS, so I can see why there are sometimes
fixed font sizes used. The CSS Zen Garden is a wonderful site, though,
a demonstration of what CSS can accomplish. There are quite a few style
sheets there already, and everybody is invited to present his own
stylesheet, in which one can specify font size any way one wishes. ;)
As I said, an exercise in DTP.

regards.

jake

Nicolai P. Zwar said:
Like what?

If you haven't figured it out, read the associated notes on the site.
The site is perfectly accessible even with a text browser and it
features dozens of alternate designs that are easily changed; in case
you have trouble reading one, just pick another. Or, turn the style
sheet off and you still have a totally valid, fully usable strict XHTML
document.
Really, if one is so terribly disabled that one cannot read the page
with _any_ of the offered style sheet designs but uses at the same time
a browser that doesn't even allow to turn off style sheets altogether
or use one's own, one is simply too damn stupid for the web.

I think you need to study the coding a bit more closely.

Hint: <h3>

regards.

Mark Parnell

Well we have different definitions of Bland.

So it seems. That site may not be a good example of accessibility, but I
certainly wouldn't describe it as bland.

Whitecrest

So it seems. That site may not be a good example of accessibility, but I
certainly wouldn't describe it as bland.

That is what is so great about the web. Even though I find this site
boring, and bland (albeit better than most), I can more than likely find
the same exact content elsewhere, and probably presented in a way that I
enjoy. And someone that does not like the sites I like, will find what
they want somewhere else.

But bottom line is that all of us can enjoy the web and get the same
information from different web sites each presenting it differently. No
one way can please everyone. THAT is the problem with Standards. I may
not like your choice of standards.

When I search google for something, I am presented with hundreds of
choices. Each presented differently. I will walk the list until I find
a site that presents the data in a manner that I want to see it. That
is the site that will be book marked.

What I like on a site depends on what the content is. I don't want
flash and eye candy on Google. But I do on http://www.coors.com (Which
give you the choice of flash or not. Not sure about javascript being
required because I, and 85% of everyone else never turn it off.)

To each his/her own, the web is a huge place and we can all play
together if we don't FORCE standards that I may or may not agree with
(And there is no way you can enforce anyway)

Nicolai P. Zwar

jake said:
If you haven't figured it out, read the associated notes on the site.

I think you need to study the coding a bit more closely.

Maybe so, I have only taken a cursory look at it. On the other hand, you
could just point out which techniques the site uses that in your opinion
hinder accessibility.
Hint: <h3>

What about it? In what way does "<h3>" as it is used on the site hinder
accessibility in any way?

Nicolai P. Zwar

Whitecrest said:
To each his/her own, the web is a huge place and we can all play
together if we don't FORCE standards that I may or may not agree with
(And there is no way you can enforce anyway)

Thank God! Liberté toujours!