using variable in search and replace

swamy455

Hi all,
I am trying to search for a string in FILE1 and then split it and then
use the result to search FILE2

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "This is test perl program\n";
open ( FILE1,"</test/file1.pl") or die "cannot open $?:$!";
while (<FILE1>){
$i= s/apple/APPLE/;
#just replacing apple with APPLE
#this works fine
if($i){
$test1=$_;
close FILE1;
print "test1 =$test1\n";
#this has the the whole line which is of #the form a b

($a,$b)=split(/\s/,$test1,2);
print "b=$b\n";

open (FILE2,"</temp/file2.pl") or die "cannot open $?:$!";
while (<FILE2>){
$i= s/$b/MANGO/e;
# This part doesn't work

print $_;
if($i){
$test2=$_;

close FILE2;
#print "$test2";
($c,$d)=split(/\s/,$test2,2);
print "d= $d\n";

the contents of file1he
ap878ple mango
1apple me45ango
a4pple mat5ngo
apple mango
a2pple ma43ngo
a4pple mat5ngo

the contents of file2
mandfgo andwefrwehra
maafweewngo andhvwera
mango pineapple
masvffngo anewfwdhra

Main purpose of the code is
given apple I want to search file1 and file2 and find pineapple.
the variable $b doesnt seem to work well in the search.

Thanks in advance.
Ravi

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

I am trying to search for a string in FILE1 and then split it and then
use the result to search FILE2

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "This is test perl program\n";

print "so of course I enable strictures and warnings:\n";
use strict;
use warnings;
open ( FILE1,"</test/file1.pl") or die "cannot open $?:$!";
while (<FILE1>){
$i= s/apple/APPLE/;
#just replacing apple with APPLE
#this works fine
if($i){
$test1=$_;
close FILE1;
print "test1 =$test1\n";
#this has the the whole line which is of #the form a b

($a,$b)=split(/\s/,$test1,2);
print "b=$b\n";

Replace that line with

print "b=[$b]\n";