Using VB dll in ASP

Jawahar Rajan

All,
I have written a dll in VB (ver 5.0) to check some registry values, the Dll
has a wrapper function called GetRegistryValue, in which I pass the Key name
and the Key value.

For example I have value for my database password in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WebReports\DBPWD\PWD

In my ASP page I have (the Dll is WebReports.webReortsVal

Dim objReg
set objReg = Server.CreateObject("WebReports.webReportsVal")

Dim strPWD
strPWD = objReg.GetRegistryValue("Software\WebReports\DBPWD\PWD","PWD")

The Dll use standard windows API Calls to get registry settings, hence I do
not need pass the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

When I check strPWD it is an empty string!
Any Ideas why this is happening, I am not getting an error with the
CreateObject hence I am assuming that the object reference is valid and
also the setting of the strPWD is OK else I would see the error for the
line:
strPWD = objReg.GetRegistryValue("Software\WebReports\DBPWD\PWD","PWD")

Can I use API calls directly in ASP? or am I using the DLL is a wrong way.
(The Dll is registered else the object will not get created.

Any help or suggestions are welcome

Thanks
Jawahar

Dan Brussee

[...]

Seems fine to me. Have you debugged your DLL to be sure that it
functions correctly with the parameters passed? Also, I assume you
have registered the DLL on the ASP computer.