UTF8

Peter C

I'm working with Japanese character sets in Windows. I can save my
*.rb files with notepad using UTF-8 but I can't run them with Ruby.
This is what happens when I try to run it.

c:\> ruby -Ku myFile.rb
jpn.rb:1: undefined method `' for main:Object
(NoMethodError)

Am I doing something wrong?

My goal is the read/write strings (containing Japanese characters)
from a web browser. Is there a recommend way of doing this?

Peter

Carlos

I'm working with Japanese character sets in Windows. I can save my
*.rb files with notepad using UTF-8 but I can't run them with Ruby.
This is what happens when I try to run it.

c:\> ruby -Ku myFile.rb
jpn.rb:1: undefined method `' for main:Object
(NoMethodError)

Am I doing something wrong?

Probably you forgot to put quotes, or #, somewhere...

If you show us jpn.rb, or at least its first line, we can help you better.

Florian Gross

Peter said:
I'm working with Japanese character sets in Windows. I can save my
*.rb files with notepad using UTF-8 but I can't run them with Ruby.
This is what happens when I try to run it.

c:\> ruby -Ku myFile.rb
jpn.rb:1: undefined method `' for main:Object
(NoMethodError)

Am I doing something wrong?

I guess you're running into the same old BOM issue. Notepad and other
editors put a special marker at the beginning of documents. Ruby parses
that either as a variable or method name. You can work around it by
starting your application with an assignment:

nothing_useful = nil

Ruby will then parse it as an assignment to a variable that starts with
the BOM and ends with 'nothing_useful'.

It's a reported problem and I hope that Ruby will do this the correct
way and just ignore the BOM in the future...