Validation Error

Discussion in 'HTML' started by MG, Feb 26, 2007.

  1. MG

    MG Guest

    On this page
    www.samurdermysteries.co.za

    I have the following code:
    <h3 style="margin:1em,0,1em,0.5em;">What makes South African Murder
    Mysteries different:</h3>
    <ul class="IndexList">
    ....(snip)
    <li>Fully facilitated.</li>
    </ul>

    The relevant part of the stylesheet is as follows:
    ..IndexList {margin:0,0,0,1.5em;}
    ..IndexList li {margin:0,0,1em,0;}

    Jigsaw gives an error message like this:
    Invalid number: margin, is an incorrect operator: 0,0,0,1.5em

    I don't understand the error message, so can't fix it.

    (code does not work in Firefox or IE7, but does work as I want it to in
    IE5.5!)

    Could someone please explain to me what the error is.

    Thanks
    MG

    MG, Feb 26, 2007

  2. MG wrote:
    > On this page
    > www.samurdermysteries.co.za
    >

    > I have the following code:
    > <h3 style="margin:1em,0,1em,0.5em;">What makes South African Murder
    > Mysteries different:</h3>
    > <ul class="IndexList">
    > ....(snip)
    > <li>Fully facilitated.</li>
    > </ul>
    >
    > The relevant part of the stylesheet is as follows:
    > .IndexList {margin:0,0,0,1.5em;}
    > .IndexList li {margin:0,0,1em,0;}
    >
    > Jigsaw gives an error message like this:
    > Invalid number: margin, is an incorrect operator: 0,0,0,1.5em
    >
    > I don't understand the error message, so can't fix it.
    >
    > (code does not work in Firefox or IE7, but does work as I want it to in
    > IE5.5!)

    Because Firefox and IE7 are correctly ignoring the invalid rule, no
    commas for each value:

    margin: 0 0 0 1.5em;

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 26, 2007

  3. MG

    MG Guest

    > MG wrote:
    >> On this page
    >> www.samurdermysteries.co.za
    >>

    >> I have the following code:
    >> <h3 style="margin:1em,0,1em,0.5em;">What makes South African Murder
    >> Mysteries different:</h3>
    >> <ul class="IndexList">
    >> ....(snip)
    >> <li>Fully facilitated.</li>
    >> </ul>
    >>
    >> The relevant part of the stylesheet is as follows:
    >> .IndexList {margin:0,0,0,1.5em;}
    >> .IndexList li {margin:0,0,1em,0;}
    >>
    >> Jigsaw gives an error message like this:
    >> Invalid number: margin, is an incorrect operator: 0,0,0,1.5em
    >>
    >> I don't understand the error message, so can't fix it.
    >>
    >> (code does not work in Firefox or IE7, but does work as I want it to in
    >> IE5.5!)
    >>

    > Because Firefox and IE7 are correctly ignoring the invalid rule, no commas
    > for each value:
    >
    > margin: 0 0 0 1.5em;
    >

    > --
    > Take care,