validation problem

Richard

Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I can't
figure out.

1) "div" not allowed here.
2) "A" not allowed here.

www.somestuff.batcave.net/expandmenu2.htm

Since that was put up, I have cleaned up a few items.
Put the script in an external file so any errors on that part should be
ignored.

Don't flame me for the script bugs. I did not write it as clearly stated in
the comments.

CarolW.

Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I can't
figure out.

1) "div" not allowed here.

"The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in
which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones
that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned.
This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that
you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put
a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline

Did you try to plate it in with a block level element? Looks to me, in
a quick glance at the source shared along with the validation, that
you did.
2) "A" not allowed here.

"The element named above was found in a context where it is not
allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements --
such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside
"head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML
documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this
error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's
"self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a
HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head"
section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and
"meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error). "

I would say this is due to the prior error and thus bringing up an
error flag for -some- of the following lines.

Carol

Hywel Jenkins

Checking my latest playtoy for errors I run across these two gems I can't
figure out.

1) "div" not allowed here.
2) "A" not allowed here.

www.somestuff.batcave.net/expandmenu2.htm

Since that was put up, I have cleaned up a few items.
Put the script in an external file so any errors on that part should be
ignored.

Simply looking at at the code would have shown you this:
http://tinyurl.com/4a6fm

Richard

[...]

Thank you very much. I noticed I had not ended one anchor tag properly.
Closed it, no more errors with that part.
That may explain why the one scroll bar refused to behave properly.

hyweljenkins

Richard said:
Sheeeeesh. Like I never dreamed of trying to run it through the
validator?

You mean the validator that specifically pointed out your idiot coding
errors?

Duhhhhhh, hey dufus?

Are you talking to the mirror again?

What was the subject line?

Erm, "Richard is a fuckwit"?

You really are a thick twat. If you tested it against the validator
why couldn't you figure out the fix? Oh yes, you're Richard the
Stupid. I've even told you where the errors in your code are. Oh yes,
you're Richard the Stupid. Well, I told you about two of them - you
can figure the other 20ish out yourself - find some code to steal.

Here's another couple of clues
remove the <div> from with in the <a>
un-nest the <a> elements

Even when people try to help you you're a sarcastic prick. Oh yes,
you're Richard the Stupid. For someone so unbelievably retarded you
amuse me. Two things would happen if you had a brain cell: first you'd
be arrested for theft; second - it would die of loneliness.

Big Bill

[...]

Hey CW, you two-timing us?

BB

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Steve said:
Overlapping text. Nice.

Text? You see text? All I see is a completely blank[*] page with a
grey area down the left side of the viewport. And the rest is my
default background color: aqua.

* Well, almost blank. It does say
"Free Hosting - yourname.batcave.net" in the top center.

Steve Pugh

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Steve said:
Overlapping text. Nice.

Text? You see text? All I see is a completely blank[*] page with a
grey area down the left side of the viewport. And the rest is my
default background color: aqua.

Yeah, I must have had JavaScript on at the time. Silly me.

Steve