vanity URLs

Stimp

I know how to create vanity urls for users when they append a .aspx
to their name, but is it possible to pick up their name alone
(without affixing .aspx?)

e.g.
in the global.asax file I can map the following url:

www.mysite.com/someuser.aspx

to www.mysite.com/users.aspx?userid=someuser

by using a Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension( Request.Path )
in the Application_BeginRequest subroutine.

But is it possible to do the same thing if I entered:

www.mysite.com/someuser

All I get is a "Page not found" error... is there a way to catch
it before it returns this error, and redirect to the users.aspx
file?

Cheers!