Variable\String\Array\Function

Adib Rashid

Hi! I'm Adib. I'm an IUT student.
I have the following questions.

1.What is variable? Explain global & local variables.
2.Define String & Array?What are the benefits of using them in turbo
c?
3.What is the purpose of getchar & putchar function?

Alexander Bartolich

Eric Sosman

Hi! I'm Adib. I'm an IUT student.
I have the following questions.

1.What is variable? Explain global& local variables.

A variable is a star of non-constant brightness: quasars,
pulsars, novae, supernovae, and so on. Local variables are
those in our own galaxy (sometimes construed to include the
Magellanic Clouds), while global variables are distributed
throughout the entire visible Universe.
2.Define String& Array?What are the benefits of using them in turbo
c?

Strings are many-dimensional mathematical models for
the fundamental constituents of, of, well, of everything.
Theoretical physicists argue about how many dimensions they
occupy (ten and eleven are popular contenders), and about
how their vibratory modes become expressed as quarks and
so on.

There are no benefits at all to using strings in
Turbo C.
3.What is the purpose of getchar& putchar function?

They're useful in describing the operation of flame-
throwers, from the point of view of the flamee and flamer,
respectively.

Mark Bluemel

     Strings are many-dimensional mathematical models for
the fundamental constituents of, of, well, of everything.
Theoretical physicists argue about how many dimensions they
occupy (ten and eleven are popular contenders), and about
how their vibratory modes become expressed as quarks and
so on.

     There are no benefits at all to using strings in
Turbo C.

Nonsense - the OP asked for the definition of String, not Strings.
String is a twisted or braided collection of threads and is used to
keep shoes on, trousers up and farm machinery working. It may be
necessary to hold together a computer old enough to be running Turbo
C.

You didn't define Array. Array is what you say when your Turbo C
installation works correctly.

jacob navia

Adib Rashid a écrit :
Hi! I'm Adib. I'm an IUT student.
I have the following questions.

1.What is variable?
capable of being varied or changed; alterable:
example of use:
a variable time limit for completion of a book.
Explain global & local variables.

global:
pertaining to the whole world; worldwide; universal:
example of use:
the dream of global peace.

local:
pertaining to, characteristic of, or restricted to a particular place or
particular places:
example of use:
a local custom.
2.Define String & Array?

String:
a slender cord or thick thread used for binding or tying
Array:
order or arrangement, as of troops drawn up for battle.
What are the benefits of using them in turbo
c?

no benefits since turboc is unknown outside the IUT
of villetaneuse. I know that because they insisted on using
turboc when I visited them 6 years ago: they said that
all exercises, class material etc are geared to turboc
and refused to use anything else since that would mean
extra work.

3.What is the purpose of getchar & putchar function?

getchar and putchar have no purpose other than get a char
and put a char. A char is a superior carbon-rich fuel, a by-product of
the conversion of coal into gaseous or liquid fuel. It can be
extracted from charcoal.

Stefan Ram

Adib Rashid said:
1.What is variable? Explain global & local variables.

An identifier might be declared so as to designate an object,
»variable« is an informal term used to refer to such an identifier.

Identifiers have scope and linkage, objects have lifetime.
2.Define String & Array?What are the benefits of using them in turbo
c?

A string is a contiguous sequence of characters terminated
by and including the first null character.

An array is an object of array type.
3.What is the purpose of getchar & putchar function?

The getchar function is equivalent to getc with the argument
stdin.

The putchar function is equivalent to putc with the second
argument stdout.

Nick Keighley

Hi! I'm Adib. I'm an IUT student.
I have the following questions.

there seem to be a lot of you posting. Try doing your own homework and
stop trying to cheat. Tell your classmates to do the same.

jacob navia

Mark Bluemel a écrit :
What is IUT?

Institut Universitaire de Technologie (French)

If it is a place of learning, does it lack both tutors and a library?

(1) It is a place of learning
(2) Lacks tutors
(3) lacks libraries

(n) Lacks everything since education is now too expensive for France.
We have to spend our money in more important things like giving
it to our banksters or investing in tax cuts for the poor french
millionaires.

Keith Thompson

jacob navia said:
Mark Bluemel a écrit :

Institut Universitaire de Technologie (French)
[...]

Or Islamic University of Technology in Bangladesh, or Isfahan
University of Technology in Iran. The French one wouldn't be my first
guess.

Seebs

(n) Lacks everything since education is now too expensive for France.
We have to spend our money in more important things like giving
it to our banksters or investing in tax cuts for the poor french
millionaires.

A nice explanation, if a *tiny* bit cynical. :p

(But seriously, we have the same kinds of problems, so it's familiar.)

-s
p.s.: ObC: It's interesting to note that the IUT students all have
*different* newbie questions. Think it's a group project? If you were
going to assign a set of questions like this for newbies, what would
they be?

Sjouke Burry

Adib said:
Hi! I'm Adib. I'm an IUT student.
I have the following questions.

1.What is variable? Explain global & local variables.
2.Define String & Array?What are the benefits of using them in turbo
c?
3.What is the purpose of getchar & putchar function?

4 What is the purpose of stupidity?

Phil Carmody

Sjouke Burry said:
4 What is the purpose of stupidity?

The purpose of responding to brainless googlegroups posters?
None at all. Little point even reading them either.

It looks like the party responsible for setting the questions
is at least as deficient as those who are posting them here;
they're scarily sloppy.

Phil