vexing browser difference

ram

hi!

I am writing a game, which mostly works satisfactorily. But I did all
the work on Netscape, and now I notice it doesn't work as well on IE or
Safari.

I have made a small example of the problem:

www.thinkadot.com/click

In Netscape, clicking the dark circle button alternately changes the
color of the green square between green and red. You can see the button
hilite/unhilite every time you click it.

In IE and Safari, although you see the button hilite and unhilite every
time you click it, you can only click it so fast before it will miss the
second click.

If the button wasn't hiliting twice I'd chalk it up to speed. But the
button does hilite twice, but my handler only gets called once.

In the real game you can click on two different buttons in rapid
succession w/o problems. But clicking twice the same button behaves like
hitting it only once, despite the two cycles of hiliting.

Ideas or work-arounds? I only have these three browsers, all relatively
young and all running on Macintosh.

-- rob