VHDL Design Process for CMMI

lyttlec

Can anyone supply links or references to a VHDL Design Process for
inclusion in a CMMI program? We're looking for a process that provides
for lots of reuse and not limited to one target.

thanks.

Mike Treseler

lyttlec said:
Can anyone supply links or references to a VHDL Design Process for
inclusion in a CMMI program? We're looking for a process that provides
for lots of reuse and not limited to one target.

CMMI is a management idea/buzzword
(Capability Maturity Model Integration)
that attempts to optimize human processes.

VHDL is a hardware description language
that describes hardware processes.

One overlapping area might be design rules.
When these exist, they are specific
to the organization and are found
mainly by trial and error.

That's the 'M' for maturity,
and I can't look that up.
I have to develop a process before I can
discuss optimizing it.

-- Mike Treseler

Bill Mills

Can anyone supply links or references to a VHDL Design Process for
inclusion in a CMMI program? We're looking for a process that provides
for lots of reuse and not limited to one target.

thanks.

Lets set aside the buzz word of the day. Consider reuse as another
facet of improving VHDL design. Frederick Brooks said there is no
silver bullet - no single program/process. Want lots of reuse (and
maybe fewer bugs)? take lots of (mostly) small steps:
1. Write and use a VHDL Coding Standards document
2. Use a linter on the code
3. Use a common directory structure
4. Use a revision control system for the code
5. Run code coverage
6. Use a bug tracking system
7. Set up separate design and verification teams
8. Do code peer review

OK. We know what will happen if you walk into the manager's office
with a big list of things. Pick one - Try peer code reviews. Like
Mike said, "I have to develop a process before I can discuss
optimizing it."

gl

lyttlec

Bill said:
Lets set aside the buzz word of the day. Consider reuse as another
facet of improving VHDL design. Frederick Brooks said there is no
silver bullet - no single program/process. Want lots of reuse (and
maybe fewer bugs)? take lots of (mostly) small steps:
1. Write and use a VHDL Coding Standards document
2. Use a linter on the code
3. Use a common directory structure
4. Use a revision control system for the code
5. Run code coverage
6. Use a bug tracking system
7. Set up separate design and verification teams
8. Do code peer review

OK. We know what will happen if you walk into the manager's office
with a big list of things. Pick one - Try peer code reviews. Like
Mike said, "I have to develop a process before I can discuss
optimizing it."

gl
I agree with everything both you and Mike say. But the customer does
require CMMI and we do have a process in place (both HW and SW). We need
such mundane VHDL things as code standards, testing process, control of
product, etc.

For example, one project has only 4 architectures ( Algorithmic,
Dataflow, RTL, and Board) while another has literally hundreds (five or
six for each component "core"). Needles to say our C/C++ development
goes smoothly (HA-HA), but VHDL development keeps "loosing the recipe".
One project spent tens of thousands of dollars in OTP cplds trouble
shooting a timing problem that should have been found way before burning
the first device.

Any reference to VHDL and CMMI or iso9000 would help a lot.