Via IP or Network Name?

James

I've been getting this recurring "[DBMSSOCN] General Network Error" ever
since we separated our web server and our database server. My connection
string has been as follows:

Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=machinename;Initial Catalog=xxxxxx;User
ID=xxxxxx;Password=xxxxxxx;Network Library=DBMSSOCN

Is it possible that changing the machinename to an IP address will help?
Initially, it seemed as though adding the Network Library parameter was
working, but recently it started to happen again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
James

Bob Barrows [MVP]

James said:
I've been getting this recurring "[DBMSSOCN] General Network Error"
ever since we separated our web server and our database server. My
connection string has been as follows:

Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=machinename;Initial Catalog=xxxxxx;User
ID=xxxxxx;Password=xxxxxxx;Network Library=DBMSSOCN

Is it possible that changing the machinename to an IP address will
help?

Only if you suspect a WINS or DNS issue. It can't hurt, unless the
possibility exists that the IP may change at some point for this serv er ...
Initially, it seemed as though adding the Network Library
parameter was working, but recently it started to happen again.
Maybe this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328476

You might be turning pooling off without realizing it:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271128

Bob Barrows