    Netzteil - Udo Marx
    http://www.netzteil.com/
    mailto:
    Udo Marx, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Udo Marx

    pkent Guest

    In article <>,
    Udo Marx <> wrote:

    > I have the honour to participate in a video art project.
    > My job is it to regulate the Video/DVD's and light installations by
    > movement alarm units or proximity sensors.
    >
    > My questions:
    > Does it make sense to do this with perl, for example by serial
    > controls? Does someone know about controlling software for this
    > purpose?

    Do you already have the software to control these external units, or are
    you free to choose whatever control interfaces you need? My guess is
    that you have a computer, some DVDs and some lighting rigs, and you want
    to get the computer to talk to the other things somehow.

    If that's the case, what external control interfaces does the gear have?
    Some lighting rigs will accept controls via MIDI, some use controls via
    DMX (I think?), maybe some have RS232 links already. You could control
    DVD players via an infra-red remote control. In those cases you can hook
    up interfaces to the serial port and perl can easily talk to the serial
    port. Possibly you can play the video straight out from the computer
    somehow. I would guess that you can take inputs from the sensors into
    some kind of serial or parallel interface that perl could also read from.

    Don't forget: safety first! All this stuff is running with mains
    electricity and could be lethal. Even incorrect signal voltages could
    damage the equipment. Some things might be hot, or heavy, or pose other
    risks! Make sure everything is safe - maybe you have to ask a
    professional and/or lawyer for advice (which might cost money).

    Remove the tea to reply
    pkent, Mar 7, 2004