View HTTP headers

Neal

Is it possible to view the server's HTTP headers for a page using a
typical browser? And if so, how?

Obviously I can see meta tags, and Opera will tell me the content-type and
encoding even if set through headers. But I'd think more detail could be
gotten somehow.

brucie

In alt.html Neal said:
Is it possible to view the server's HTTP headers for a page using a
typical browser? And if so, how?

i use a proxy http://www.proxomitron.info/ so i can check out (and
filter) what everything i have using http is doing. i think moz has the
ability to check out the request/response headers built in or theres a
plugin available. i wasn't paying attention when someone was talking
about it in another group.

Andrew Urquhart

*Neal* said:
Is it possible to view the server's HTTP headers for a page using a
typical browser? And if so, how?

Obviously I can see meta tags, and Opera will tell me the content-type and
encoding even if set through headers. But I'd think more detail could be
gotten somehow.

I'm using a bit of a home-brew affair - Windows only and probably
requires you to have MSXML4 installed - but nevertheless:
http://andrewu.co.uk/tools/headercheck/headerCheck.zip [7KB]

Looks like: http://www.andrewu.co.uk/tools/headercheck/HeaderCheck.png

As a general note:
Treat HTA files with the same caution as you'd treat an EXE. Hence only
run a HTA file if, and only if, you trust the author and the source.

Toby Inkster

brucie said:
i think moz has the ability to check out the request/response headers
built in or theres a plugin available.

Plugin -- called, IIRC, "Live HTTP Headers".

Dave Patton

Is it possible to view the server's HTTP headers for a page using a
typical browser? And if so, how?

I've used the LiveHTTPHeaders extension in both Mozilla
and now FireFox, and it works great:
http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/

Now, the questions remaining are:
- are those "typical" browsers?
- will you be upset to see the headers
sent by both the client and the server?

;-)

Jeffrey Silverman

Is it possible to view the server's HTTP headers for a page using a
typical browser? And if so, how?

Obviously I can see meta tags, and Opera will tell me the content-type and
encoding even if set through headers. But I'd think more detail could be
gotten somehow.

Wget