View State

Guest

Hi all,

In my page load i am loading nearly 5 diffferent arrays. each array having
nearly 1000 items. after that i am doing some calculation add some list into
datagrid using that array values. all the values are maintaing on VIEW STATE.
so the page is totaly slow. how to get the array and datagrid values without
maintainng the VIEW STATE. any idea?

Thanks
bala

Guest

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the info.

If there is lot of info (like 5 array, each array contain 1000 items) mean
what is another option?

thanks
Bala

Karl Seguin

Bala:
You could store them in the database (don't see how that's any better)
,don't store any and re-get it on postback...

I mean there is no magic option...if you wanna hold on to those 5000 items
you'll have to serialize them to the client or hold on to them in the
server...

Karl

Guest

Thanks karl!

Here i have 2 options. having an array (the view state holding all the array
values and datagrid values. so the page is too slow) or stored all the array
into database and bind the database with datagrid.

which option you would suggest. i need that page should be fast navigate.

thanks
bala

Karl Seguin

it's hard to say without knowing the exact data and how it's being used.
If you keep hitting the DB for it ,then you still have the overhead of
returning 5000 rows...my guess is that with multiple users this will be the
slowest option and won't scale well ,but that's jsut a guess. Can't you use
Paging or something so you only need a subset of the data at a time?

Karl

Guest

Thanks for the info karl. i'll check it out.