Views of K Thomson

Long Time Lurker

Hello

Like I guess most people I had always assumed, based on his
fundamentalist/fascist views on C in this group, that Keith Thomson was
an extreme rightwinger, Tea Party style.

But then I saw a picture where he's got a wacky beard like some ageing
60s hippie who's zoned out on marijuana all day.

So now I'm not so sure.

My question is: what really are the politics of Mr Thomson.

Thanks.

[note to topicality zealots: meta-discussions about the newsgroup are
always topical]

Kenny McCormack

Hello

Like I guess most people I had always assumed, based on his
fundamentalist/fascist views on C in this group, that Keith Thomson was
an extreme rightwinger, Tea Party style.

But then I saw a picture where he's got a wacky beard like some ageing
60s hippie who's zoned out on marijuana all day.

So now I'm not so sure.

My question is: what really are the politics of Mr Thomson.

Thanks.

[note to topicality zealots: meta-discussions about the newsgroup are
always topical]

Where's the picture? (URL, please)

(This, I gotta see...)

--
(This discussion group is about C, ...)

Wrong. It is only OCCASIONALLY a discussion group
about C; mostly, like most "discussion" groups, it is
off-topic Rorsharch [sic] revelations of the childhood
traumas of the participants...

Seebs

My question is: what really are the politics of Mr Thomson.
[note to topicality zealots: meta-discussions about the newsgroup are
always topical]

Yes, but this is not a discussion about the newsgroup, this is the
same "nospam@" from aioe.org spamming the newsgroup with off-topic harassment
of various posters.

You have, however, finally convinced me that whatever theoretical
value aioe.org may have in the form of a hypothesized legitimate user,
it's far outweighed by the constant flood of trolling. I dunno what
your objection is to discussion of C, but really, you gotta try harder
if you want to prevent people from talking about it.

-s

Chris H

Long Time Lurker said:
My question is: what really are the politics of Mr Thomson.

The politics, religion, sexual, music, food and style preferences of
Keith are completely irrelevant to C.l.c

Long Time Lurker

Chris said:
The politics, religion, sexual, music, food and style preferences of
Keith are completely irrelevant to C.l.c

Wrong. Keith is the self-appointed leader of clc. His views will be a
major factor, probably the most important factor, in determining the
future direction of the group. For this reason, they are highly relevant.

Ian Collins

Wrong. Keith is the self-appointed leader of clc. His views will be a
major factor, probably the most important factor, in determining the
future direction of the group. For this reason, they are highly relevant.

Utter bollocks. If you really are a "Long Time Lurker" you will know
there isn't a leader of clc.

Seebs

Utter bollocks. If you really are a "Long Time Lurker" you will know
there isn't a leader of clc.

I'm guessing this is Kenny. We don't have many people this stupid, and
they sort of stand out. He's the only person here I've seen proudly
proclaim that he does not believe that there exists any value or purpose
in life outside of perceived social status, and without such a belief,
no one would care about this.

I dunno who pissed in his cheerios, but they'd been eating asparagus.

-s

Malcolm McLean

Wrong. Keith is the self-appointed leader of clc. His views will be a
major factor, probably the most important factor, in determining the
future direction of the group. For this reason, they are highly relevant.
It's not a political newsgroup.
Some people do think that everything is politics in disguise. They're
wrong. Whilst there might be mild political subtexts, eg in anti-
Microsoft jokes, mostly the newsgroup is technical.

Kenny McCormack

Yes - about what I expected based on your earlier comments.
You've studied Keith more than most - what do you think his politics are?

To be honest, I don't really care that much about his politics. In
keeping with his Android (see: Mike Reed's flame warriors) persona,
Kiki himself has studiously avoided saying anything political or
religious. But the way he runs this newsgroup has certainly been a
magnet for people on the political/religious dark side. It thus comes
as no surprise to find out that most of the other regs are
political/religious nut cases.

--
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Chris H

Long Time Lurker said:
Wrong. Keith is the self-appointed leader of clc.

No he isn't
His views will be a
major factor, probably the most important factor, in determining the
future direction of the group.

No more than many others.
For this reason, they are highly relevant.

His politics are completely irrelevant in a technical MG

Chris H

In message <[email protected]
s.com> said:
It's not a political newsgroup.
Some people do think that everything is politics in disguise. They're
wrong. Whilst there might be mild political subtexts, eg in anti-
Microsoft jokes, mostly the newsgroup is technical.

I do have a poster (a well known pastiche on the US cold war anti
communist posters) saying that "Programming Open Source is helping
Communism"

http://www.phaedsys.com/pub/open_source_communism.jpg

but other than that I have not seen any other mainstream politics in
this NG for as long as I can remember (about 20 years)

Whilst there are "political" discussions of MS, Apple, Linux and Open
source there has been nothing in this international that I can remember
re Local, National or international politics. Mainly because it is
completely irrelevant. In fact most of the time one has little idea
which country many of the posters are in.

Kenny McCormack

His politics are irrelevant.

Assuming that by "irrelevant", you mean "off topic" (aka,
"inappropriate"), then I must agree with you.

See my recent post which demonstrates conclusively that every single
post in this newsgroups is off-topic. Thank you.

Keith Thompson

[crap]

I would personally appreciate it if everyone would stop posting on
this thread. Trolls will troll; please ignore them.

Malcolm McLean

I do have a poster (a well known pastiche on the US cold war anti
communist posters) saying that "Programming Open Source  is helping
Communism"
It's certainly doing very serious damage to Microsoft. But a
libertarian would argue that if people want to give away work for free
they ought to be able to do so, and a conventional (non-Marxist)
economist would point out that there can be many benefits to the
programmer from working for free.

Personally I always give away my source without any restriction,
because having worked for small games companies I'm sensitive to the
needs of private sector programmers for free stuff, to avoid wasteful
duplication of effort.

John Bode

Yes he is.

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a giraffe.

You and Kenny take your goddamned personal issues with Keith (and
Heathfield, and whoever goddamned else) to email and leave the rest of
us out of it. Keith sure as shit isn't *my* leader or anyone else's
on this newsgroup, any more than I'm anyone's leader. I don't give a
crap about his politics, or his fashion sense, or much of anything
else that has dick-all to do with C programming.

I swear to God you two are the most childish, immature assholes I've
ever dealt with either online or IRL. Nudds and Nilges have the
excuse of being legitimately nuts, but you two are just fucking
annoying. I pity your coworkers; you must be *joys* to interact
with.

Vinay Kumar_ Nevatia
Top