ViewState not persisting object

Brian

I have a custom collection that I have added to the
ViewState of a custom Server Control. I know that the
object is being added to the ViewState correctly because I
can access it immediately after adding it. I can also see
that the ViewState saved to the client has a much larger
string after the page loads. However, when the page goes
to load again (after a postback) the ViewState no longer
contains my object. I have been not been able to find any
references to what might cause this kind of behavior.

Does anyone know what might cause a ViewState value to get
lost?

Other values have been entered into this control's
ViewState and have persisted correctly.

Brian