ViewState properties and mapped properties don't work well togethe

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Christophe Peillet, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. I have a CompositeControl with two types of properties:

    1.) Mapped Properties that map directly to a child control's properties
    (ex.: this.TextboxText = m_txt.Text). These properties are handled by their
    underlying classes (such as the TextBox control), and are not persisted by me.
    2.) Unique Properties that don't map directly and are persisted in ViewState
    (ex.: this.LabelPosition, which specifies where on the form the label should
    be rendered). These properties are applied to the relevant controls in
    'OnPreRender()', and sometimes used in 'CreateChildControls()'.

    I can only get one of these types of properties to work properly at one
    time. If, in the second type of property (those stored in ViewState) I add
    the line 'ChildControlsCreated = false;' after the Set statement, the
    ViewState properties work properly and render with their assigned values, but
    then controls of the first type no longer work, and are always reset to their
    initial values.

    If I remove the 'ChildControlsCreate = false;' line from the ViewState
    controls, the first type (Mapped Properties) function properly, including
    maintaining their values on Postback, but the second type (Unique/ViewState
    properties) always get set to their default values, even when they are
    explicitly set in code or in the HTML markup.

    The problem is that I need, obviously, both property types to work, but
    after a lot of effort (and several forum posts), am no closer to a solution.

    If you would like a full code sample of this, let me know and I'll email a
    VS2005 solution to you.

    Christophe

    Type 1 (Mapped Properties) --> Generally defined in a child class that
    inherits from a common parent
    --------------------------
    /// <summary>
    /// Gets or sets the textbox text.
    /// </summary>
    /// <value>The textbox text.</value>
    [Bindable(true)]
    [Category("Textbox")]
    [DefaultValue(typeof(string), "")]
    [Description("The text that will be displayed in the textbox.")]
    [Localizable(true)]
    [NotifyParentProperty(true)]
    [RefreshProperties(RefreshProperties.All)]
    public string Text
    {
    get
    {
    EnsureChildControls();
    return (m_txt.Text == null) ?
    string.Empty :
    m_txt.Text;
    }
    set
    {
    Debug.Assert(value != null, "Warning: TextboxText property is null!");
    if (value != null)
    {
    EnsureChildControls();
    m_txt.Text = value;
    }
    else
    {
    throw new NullReferenceException("TextboxText can not be
    assigned a null value.");

    Type 2 (Unique Properties) --> Defined in a parent class that contains all
    common elements
    --------------------------
    /// <summary>
    /// Gets or sets the position of the descriptive label relative to the rest
    of the control.
    /// </summary>
    /// <value>The label position.</value>
    [Bindable(true)]
    [Category("Label")]
    [DefaultValue(Position.Left)]
    [Localizable(false)]
    [Description("The position of the descriptive label relative to the rest of
    the control.")]
    public Position LabelPosition
    {
    get
    {
    Position p = (Position)ViewState["LabelPosition"];
    return p;
    }
    set
    {
    ViewState["LabelPosition"] = value;
    // Toggle line to see effect
    // ChildcontrolsCreate = false;

    CreateChildControls() -> Code from parent class, SupportFormLabelledControl
    (which handles all common elements)
    ---------------------
    // Clear the control collection
    Controls.Clear();

    // Any dependant controls used in this custom control must
    // be added to the control 'hierarchy'. If they are not added
    // to the control collection, they will not be visible to other
    // controls on the page.

    // Instantiate any dependant controls
    m_tbl = new Table();
    m_lbl = new CallbackLabel();
    m_icn = new IconPopupControl();
    m_plc = new PlaceHolder();

    // Create table object and format it through relevant method
    m_tbl = SharedFunctions.CreateLabelledControlTable(this.LabelPosition);

    // Add table to the control collection
    Controls.Add(m_tbl);

    // Add controls to the table control collection
    switch (this.LabelPosition)
    {
    case Position.Left:
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_lbl);
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[1].Controls.Add(m_plc);
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[1].Controls.Add(m_icn);
    // Set relevant design properties
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].Width = new
    Unit(this.LabelWidth.ToString());
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].VerticalAlign = this.LabelVerticalAlign;
    break;
    case Position.Top:
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_lbl);
    m_tbl.Rows[1].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_plc);
    m_tbl.Rows[1].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_icn);
    // Set relevant design properties
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].Width = new
    Unit(this.LabelWidth.ToString());
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].VerticalAlign = this.LabelVerticalAlign;
    break;
    case Position.Right:
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_plc);
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_icn);
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[1].Controls.Add(m_lbl);
    // Set relevant design properties
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[1].Width = new
    Unit(this.LabelWidth.ToString());
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[1].VerticalAlign = this.LabelVerticalAlign;
    break;
    case Position.Bottom:
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_plc);
    m_tbl.Rows[0].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_icn);
    m_tbl.Rows[1].Cells[0].Controls.Add(m_lbl);
    // Set relevant design properties
    m_tbl.Rows[1].Cells[0].Width = new
    Unit(this.LabelWidth.ToString());
    m_tbl.Rows[1].Cells[0].VerticalAlign = this.LabelVerticalAlign;
    break;
    default:
    Debug.Assert(false);
    break;
    }

    // Call base method
    base.CreateChildControls();
    }

    CreateChildControls() -> Code from inheriting class, which specializes the
    top-level class (i.e., SupportTextBox)
    ---------------------
    // Call base method (create the underlying table and common controls)
    base.CreateChildControls();

    // Instantiate any dependant controls
    m_txt = new CallbackTextBox();

    // Register any events associated with dependant controls
    m_txt.TextChanged += new EventHandler(RaiseTextChanged);
    m_icn.ImageMouseDown += new EventHandler(this.RaiseIconMouseDown);

    // Add unique controls to the base class placeholder
    m_plc.Controls.Add(m_txt);
    }

    OnPreRender() --> Parent Class (SupportFormLabelledControl)
    -------------
    contains the event data.</param>
    // Call base method
    base.OnPreRender(e);

    // Add reference to embedded CSS file
    if (!(Page == null))
    {
    if (!(Page.ClientScript.IsClientScriptBlockRegistered("CssStyles")))
    {
    string cssLocation = this.Page.ClientScript.GetWebResourceUrl(
    this.GetType(),
    "CompanyName.EEE.Web.UI.Resources.Styles.css");
    string cssLink = @"<!-- Css Stylesheet -->" + "\r\n";
    cssLink += @"<link href='" + cssLocation + "' rel='stylesheet'
    type='text/css' />" + "\r\n";
    Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock(
    typeof(SupportFormLabelledControl),
    "CssStyles",
    cssLink);

    // Associate dependent control properties with this control's properties
    m_lbl.CssClass = this.LabelCssClass;
    m_lbl.Text = this.LabelText;
    m_lbl.Visible = this.LabelVisible;
    m_lbl.RadControlsDir = this.ScriptsPath;
    m_lbl.CallbackEnabled = this.CallbackEnabled;
    m_lbl.DisableAtCallback = this.DisableAtCallback;
    m_lbl.Enabled = this.Enabled;
    m_icn.CallbackEnabled = this.CallbackEnabled;
    m_icn.DisableAtCallback = this.DisableAtCallback;
    m_icn.WarningImageUrl = this.WarningImageUrl;
    m_icn.ImageAlign = this.ImageAlign;
    m_icn.EmptyImageUrl = this.EmptyImageUrl;
    m_icn.MessageStyle = this.MessageStyle;
    m_icn.PopupText = this.PopupText;
    m_icn.PopupTextResourceKey = this.PopupTextResourceKey;
    m_icn.PopupTitle = this.PopupTitle;
    m_icn.PopupTitleResourceKey = this.PopupTitleResourceKey;
    m_icn.LinkUrl = this.LinkUrl;
    m_icn.Enabled = this.Enabled;
    m_icn.CssClass = this.WarningIconCssStyle;

    // Enable or disable warning icon as appropriate
    m_icn.Visible = this.Required ? true : false;
    }

    OnPreRender() --> Specialized, Inheriting Class (SupportTextBox)
    -------------
    // Call base method (common fields like m_lbl and m_icn are handled here)
    base.OnPreRender(e);

    // Associate dependent control properties with this control's properties
    m_txt.MaxLength = this.MaxLength;
    m_txt.ReadOnly = this.ReadOnly;
    m_txt.RadControlsDir = this.ScriptsPath;
    m_txt.DisableAtCallback = this.DisableAtCallback;
    m_txt.CallbackEnabled = this.CallbackEnabled;
    m_txt.CssClass = this.TextboxCssClass;
    m_txt.Enabled = this.Enabled;
    m_txt.Text = this.Text;
    m_txt.TextMode = this.TextMode;
    m_txt.Width = this.TextboxWidth;
    m_txt.Rows = this.Rows;
    }

    Christophe Peillet, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Hi Christophe,

    Based on the code you provided and your description, I think the behavior
    can be explained by the below things:

    1. If you put

    ChildControlsCreated = false in LabelPostion (stored in viewstate directly)
    's setter code, that'll make the control collection be recreated
    later(before or during prerender...). Thus, the modification you made on
    the "Text" property will lose (because the controls are recreated...),
    reasonable?

    2. When you do not use

    ChildControlsCreated = false, Then, after we set the LabelPosition, you'll
    find that the output control content are not updated (because the control
    collection are already created), yes? In such scenario, we can create
    another sub function which put the control's UI update code according to
    the Property's value.....

    To make the above things clear, here is a test control I've made which
    expose two properties. One is directly stored in ViewState and another
    directly mapped to sub control's property.... And I've also attached my
    test page's code.....

    ========control code==========
    namespace WebControlLib
    {
    [DefaultProperty("Text")]
    [ToolboxData("<{0}:VSControl runat=server></{0}:VSControl>")]
    [Designer(typeof(VSControlDesigner),typeof(IDesigner))]
    public class VSControl : WebControl, INamingContainer
    {

    private Label _lbl;
    private Table _tb;

    public VSControl()
    {
    SetDefaultValues();

    }

    [Bindable(true)]
    [Category("Appearance")]
    [DefaultValue("Default Text")]
    [Localizable(true)]
    public string Text
    {
    get
    {
    EnsureChildControls();
    return _lbl.Text;
    }

    set
    {
    EnsureChildControls();
    _lbl.Text = value;

    SetLabelPosition();

    [Bindable(true)]
    [Category("Appearance")]
    [DefaultValue(Position.One)]
    public Position LabelPosition
    {
    get
    {

    Position pos = (Position)ViewState["lbl_pos"];

    return pos;
    }
    set
    {

    ViewState["lbl_pos"] = value;

    EnsureChildControls();
    SetLabelPosition();

    Controls.Clear();

    _tb = new Table();
    _tb.ID = "tbPanels";
    _tb.BorderWidth = 1;
    _tb.BorderStyle = BorderStyle.Solid;
    _tb.BorderColor = System.Drawing.Color.Black;

    TableRow tr = new TableRow();
    tr.Cells.Add(new TableCell());
    tr.Cells.Add(new TableCell());
    tr.Cells[0].Width = tr.Cells[1].Width = Unit.Percentage(50);

    _tb.Rows.Add(tr);

    tr = new TableRow();
    tr.Cells.Add(new TableCell());
    tr.Cells.Add(new TableCell());
    tr.Cells[0].Width = tr.Cells[1].Width = Unit.Percentage(50);

    _tb.Rows.Add(tr);

    Controls.Add(_tb);

    _lbl = new Label();
    _lbl.ID = "lblMessage";
    _lbl.Text = Text;
    _lbl.BorderStyle = BorderStyle.Solid;
    _lbl.BorderWidth = 1;
    _lbl.BorderColor = System.Drawing.Color.Blue;

    Label lbl = new Label();
    lbl.Text = "Cell One";
    _tb.Rows[0].Cells[1].Controls.Add(lbl);

    lbl = new Label();
    lbl.Text = "Cell Two";
    _tb.Rows[0].Cells[0].Controls.Add(lbl);

    lbl = new Label();
    lbl.Text = "Cell Three";
    _tb.Rows[1].Cells[0].Controls.Add(lbl);

    lbl = new Label();
    lbl.Text = "Cell Four";
    _tb.Rows[1].Cells[1].Controls.Add(lbl);

    SetLabelPosition();

    }

    private void SetDefaultValues()
    {
    _lbl = new Label();
    _lbl.Text = "Hello";

    LabelPosition = Position.One;
    }

    private void SetLabelPosition()
    {
    switch (LabelPosition)
    {
    case Position.One:
    _tb.Rows[0].Cells[1].Controls.Add(_lbl);
    break;
    case Position.Two:
    _tb.Rows[0].Cells[0].Controls.Add(_lbl);
    break;
    case Position.Three:
    _tb.Rows[1].Cells[0].Controls.Add(_lbl);
    break;
    case Position.Four:
    _tb.Rows[1].Cells[1].Controls.Add(_lbl);
    break;

    public enum Position
    {
    One,
    Two,
    Three,
    Four
    }

    public class VSControlDesigner : ControlDesigner
    {
    public override string GetDesignTimeHtml()
    {
    string dhtml = @"
    Design-Time...</font></div>
    ";

    return dhtml;

    ================test page aspx===========
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    &nbsp;&nbsp;<asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server"
    AutoPostBack="True"
    OnSelectedIndexChanged="DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged">
    <asp:ListItem Selected="True">One</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>Two</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>Three</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>Four</asp:ListItem>
    </asp:DropDownList>
    <asp:Button ID="btnSetName" runat="server"
    OnClick="btnSetName_Click" Text="Set Name" /><br />
    &nbsp;
    <cc1:VSControl ID="VSControl1" runat="server" LabelPosition="Four"
    Text="Hello" />
    </form>
    =================

    =========code behind===========
    public partial class ControlTestPage : System.Web.UI.Page
    if (!IsPostBack)

    protected void DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender,
    EventArgs e)
    {
    switch (DropDownList1.SelectedValue)
    {
    case "One":
    VSControl1.LabelPosition = WebControlLib.Position.One;
    break;
    case "Two":
    VSControl1.LabelPosition = WebControlLib.Position.Two;
    break;
    case "Three":
    VSControl1.LabelPosition = WebControlLib.Position.Three;
    break;
    case "Four":
    VSControl1.LabelPosition = WebControlLib.Position.Four;
    break;
    protected void btnSetName_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    VSControl1.Text = TextBox1.Text;

    Hope helps. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng