vim, java and javadoc

John Davison

Vim using java coders:

Has anyone made, or know of, a way to use Vim's lookup feature with the
javadoc system? I like how when I'm editing a C file I can put my cursor on a
function and hit K to bring up a man page! I figured out how to fine-tune
this feature and made it work for Perl functions.

I would love to be able to put my cursor on, say, "String" and have vim jump
to lang/String.html in the html documentation, or something similar. If it
isn't already done then I may want to do this myself.

Thanks!

James Birchfield

John said:
Vim using java coders:

Has anyone made, or know of, a way to use Vim's lookup feature with the
javadoc system? I like how when I'm editing a C file I can put my cursor on a
function and hit K to bring up a man page! I figured out how to fine-tune
this feature and made it work for Perl functions.

I would love to be able to put my cursor on, say, "String" and have vim jump
to lang/String.html in the html documentation, or something similar. If it
isn't already done then I may want to do this myself.

Thanks!
I will probably get flamed for this, but look at Eclipse. It has a vi
plugin that supports most vi functions, and is just a kick ass IDE when
you learn to use it. I coded in vi for many, many years and still love
it. But coding is so much faster with a good IDE.

James Birchfield
Proteus Technologies, LLC

James Birchfield

James said:
I will probably get flamed for this, but look at Eclipse. It has a vi
plugin that supports most vi functions, and is just a kick ass IDE when
you learn to use it. I coded in vi for many, many years and still love
it. But coding is so much faster with a good IDE.

James Birchfield
Proteus Technologies, LLC
Oh, BTW, the reason I responded in the first place is because it has the
exact same functionality you were looking for. It will bring up the
first few lines of the javadoc when you hover, hit F2 and the tooltip
becomes scrollable with full javadoc, and <CTGRL> F2 will spawn the
browser with full HTML javadoc.

James Birchfield
Proteus Technologies, LLC

Brian Agnew

John said:
Vim using java coders:

Has anyone made, or know of, a way to use Vim's lookup feature with the
javadoc system? I like how when I'm editing a C file I can put my cursor on a
function and hit K to bring up a man page! I figured out how to fine-tune
this feature and made it work for Perl functions.

I would love to be able to put my cursor on, say, "String" and have vim jump
to lang/String.html in the html documentation, or something similar. If it
isn't already done then I may want to do this myself.

Thanks!
I've done this using http://www.oopsconsultancy.com/software/classfind.html

which is a standalone Java class finder (and Java class->package
convertor). I then have a Vim config to drive this and lookup
corresponding web pages. I don't have it currently available as a
download, but if you're interested drop me a line and I can forward
details...

Brian