Virtual browser?

Guest

I have heard there is something called a 'virtual browser' which allows me
to check asp and html output on the complete range of browsers without
having to download each browser and version (side by side)....I did a google
search and see a variety of links but nothing conclusive.

Is there a standard product experienced asp developers are using..can you
point me towards it?

What are the limitations and challenges in using this product?

Many thanks
Jason

ps: Does a similiar product exist for testing Operating systems: A virtual
OS?

Lance Wynn

For the web browser, you might try http://www.netmechanic.com/ I used their
product a little bit, and it did what it was supposed to.

For a Virtual OS, you can look at http://www.vmware.com/ I used it several
years ago for testing Linux, NT, 98, and 95, and it worked great.

I have heard there is something called a 'virtual browser' which allows me
to check asp and html output on the complete range of browsers without
having to download each browser and version (side by side)....I did a google
search and see a variety of links but nothing conclusive.

Is there a standard product experienced asp developers are using..can you
point me towards it?

What are the limitations and challenges in using this product?

Many thanks
Jason

ps: Does a similiar product exist for testing Operating systems: A virtual
OS?

Guest

Unfortunately some of my users are picking up database errros related to
their browsers while I am not, I thus need to duplicate the error but cannot

Adrienne

I have heard there is something called a 'virtual browser' which allows
me to check asp and html output on the complete range of browsers
without having to download each browser and version (side by side)....I
did a google search and see a variety of links but nothing conclusive.

Is there a standard product experienced asp developers are using..can
you point me towards it?

What are the limitations and challenges in using this product?

Many thanks
Jason

ps: Does a similiar product exist for testing Operating systems: A
virtual OS?

For browsers, Opera can identify itself as several browsers, and has a text
mode and other testing modes. I have a few browsers available, Mosaic,
Netscape 2, Netscape 4, Netscape 6, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Amaya, IBM
HomePage Reader, Lynx, and Internet Explorer, to name a few. I also have a
neat little tool, MT Browser
<http://www.minitutorials.serveftp.net/apps/mtbrowser/index.shtml> that
will open as many browser side by side as you wish. I write for modern
compliant browsers, like Opera, but I test with Opera, Firefox and IE, and
a screen reader.

One of the reasons I like having many browsers is the ability to debug
cookies and other session variables.

As far as OS, the only thing to really worry about is client side, and with
that only session cookies, as those can be refused by the client's browser.