virus scan documents before saving to database

Guest

Hi all,
..net framwork 1.1
sql server 2000

I have a vb.net winforms application using webservices\ remoting to
upload documents\ images to the webserver and i am gong to store them in the
sql server 2000 database and before these are saved to the
database client wants me to scan them for any kind of viruses i.e do a virus
scan,
how can i do that, have any body done this before. if it was a matter of
just saving those documents staight to the file system of webserver i could
have invoked the local APIs of the anti virus running on the server but in
this case when i am storing them to the database there might be two way i can
do the upload
1. i would want to upload them from the cient in chunks like in pieces
of might be 64 K and store them in the database a chunk at a time, so there
will be multiple rows for the same documents in the database. This mean i
will never be having the whole document in memory on the webserver at any
point? how can i virus scan ? any suggestions??

2. the second option is i take the whole of the document and upload it to
the database in one shot and insert it as a single row in the database. This
mean at one point in time i will be having the whole document in memory of
the web server, scratching my brain here, can i use it to somehow virus scan
it , if so how?

please suggest

thanks
sameer

does trend or Symatec offer a webserivce that i can use to scan these
documents OR is there any API from TREND or SYMATEC installed on that server
that i can use for this purpose.

thanks
sameer