"visit calculations" program

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by russell kym horsell, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. I've been contracted by someone purporting to be associated with
    a "department" in the Manchester area, England.

    Their project involved writing a simple discrete event simulator (or like)
    to calculate how many members of staff would be needed for certain
    flows of students on open days.

    I have been unable to contact the party for several days now, with
    the alleged deadline for the project around 24 hrs off.

    If the project (not the scenario ;-) familiar to anyone, please drop me a line.

    I've attach the last email I received from the party concerned.

    ===
    $ Date: Aug 8, 2005 2:50 AM
    $ Subject: Re: Project
    $ Kym, This is the exact brief I have:
    $
    $ On visit days to the department (for potential applicants to the course), it
    $ would be advantageous to have sufficient staff on duty to ensure that most
    $ of the time (say > 90 per cent), that a visitor does not have to wait to
    $ talk to a member of staff. This situation can be simulated using random
    $ number generators within GSL.
    $
    $ If you can make it so that we can manually enter the number of visitors
    $ expected each hour and then the program would give the number of staff
    $ needed to ensure the 90% not waiting figure. I would use 15 mins as the time
    $ allowed to each person and assume the visitors arrive uniformly over each
    $ hour.
    ===

    russell kym horsell, Aug 12, 2005

  2. russell kym horsell

    osmium Guest

    "russell kym horsell" writes:

    > I've been contracted by someone purporting to be associated with
    > a "department" in the Manchester area, England.
    >
    > Their project involved writing a simple discrete event simulator (or like)
    > to calculate how many members of staff would be needed for certain
    > flows of students on open days.
    >
    > I have been unable to contact the party for several days now, with
    > the alleged deadline for the project around 24 hrs off.
    >
    > If the project (not the scenario ;-) familiar to anyone, please drop me a
    > line.
    >
    > I've attach the last email I received from the party concerned.
    >
    > ===
    > $ Date: Aug 8, 2005 2:50 AM
    > $ Subject: Re: Project
    > $ Kym, This is the exact brief I have:
    > $
    > $ On visit days to the department (for potential applicants to the
    > course), it
    > $ would be advantageous to have sufficient staff on duty to ensure that
    > most
    > $ of the time (say > 90 per cent), that a visitor does not have to wait to
    > $ talk to a member of staff. This situation can be simulated using random
    > $ number generators within GSL.
    > $
    > $ If you can make it so that we can manually enter the number of visitors
    > $ expected each hour and then the program would give the number of staff
    > $ needed to ensure the 90% not waiting figure. I would use 15 mins as the
    > time
    > $ allowed to each person and assume the visitors arrive uniformly over
    > each
    > $ hour.
    > ===

    The assumption that visitors arrive uniformly means that this is certainly
    *not* a simulator, it is a simple calculation.
    If you do this, you should warn the recipient that he has specified things
    such that the whole problem of queuing is obviated by the wording of the
    specification. GIGO, the results will be useless.

    osmium, Aug 12, 2005

  3. osmium <> wrote:
    > The assumption that visitors arrive uniformly means that this is certainly

    [...]
    > *not* a simulator, it is a simple calculation.
    > If you do this, you should warn the recipient that he has specified things
    > such that the whole problem of queuing is obviated by the wording of the
    > specification. GIGO, the results will be useless.

    The math is simple, but not entirely trivial. In most simple queue systems
    everything's (i.e. arrivals and server times) considered Possion -- the most
    tractable case.

    With uniform distro's you can use the conf intervals of the Binomial
    distro, if you ignore regions near the start/end points or other
    discontinuities.

    Still, the problem is not the problem. :)

    russell kym horsell, Aug 13, 2005