Visual Python, really "Visual"?

Tolga

After a very rapid entrance into the Python, I have immediately looked
for a good IDE. Komodo and Wing IDE look very good and I think they are
enough. But now, I am searching for a Pyhton environment which should
look like Delphi / Kylix, Borland's C++ builder or Allegro Common Lisp.
I have found a plug-in named "Visual Python" and this name naturally
maked me happy. But is it really "Visual" and does it provide a WYSIWYG
rapid development environment? Has it drag'n drop buttons, checkboxes,
radio buttons, forms et cetera?

Ravi Teja

No! Visual Python does not have a WYSIWYG GUI Builder.

Boa Constructor is the closest.
PythonCard is another contender.

Once, XAML comes in, this will become less of an issue.

Fredrik Lundh

Tolga said:
After a very rapid entrance into the Python, I have immediately looked
for a good IDE. Komodo and Wing IDE look very good and I think they are
enough. But now, I am searching for a Pyhton environment which should
look like Delphi / Kylix, Borland's C++ builder or Allegro Common Lisp.
I have found a plug-in named "Visual Python" and this name naturally
maked me happy. But is it really "Visual" and does it provide a WYSIWYG
rapid development environment? Has it drag'n drop buttons, checkboxes,
radio buttons, forms et cetera?

the product page doesn't mention any GUI editor:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Visual_Python/

but they have a free trial version, so you could of course always
download the thing and check it out for yourself...

unless you mean visual python, of course:

http://vpython.org/VisualOverview.html

which is something slightly different.

</F>

Luis M. Gonzalez

The IDEs you've been looking at have no visual GUI designers.
For that, you can check Boa Constructor or PythonCard. These two are
based on the wxPython toolkits. There are other commercial IDEs based
on QT but I cannot comment on these cause I've never used them.

Visual Python is a plug-in for Visual Studio, but it only gives you
syntax highlitning, code completion and things like that. No visual GUI
designer at all...

IMHO, Komodo or WingIde don't offer anything that can't be found in
free products.
For example , if you download PythonCard (which is a GUI designer) you
get also PyCrust, which is a cool and lightweight IDE that gives you
almost all the features of Komodo or WingIDE for free.
PythonCard is not as fully complete as Visual Studio or Delphi, but it
offers a very simple way of building GUIs by dragging and droping
widgets (ala Visual Basic). Its features are somewhat basic but enough
for creating simple GUI apps.
Hope it helps...

Jonathan Ellis

Luis said:
The IDEs you've been looking at have no visual GUI designers.
For that, you can check Boa Constructor or PythonCard. These two are
based on the wxPython toolkits. There are other commercial IDEs based
on QT but I cannot comment on these cause I've never used them.
IMHO, Komodo or WingIde don't offer anything that can't be found in
free products.

You're poorly informed. Komodo, for instance, does indeed offer a GUI
designer for tkinter.

Even where functionality is similar, Komodo and Wing are both
ridiculously more polished than the free alternatives. For some people
that's not important. For people that use their tools 40 hours a week
or more, it often is.

-Jonathan

Luis M. Gonzalez

You're poorly informed. Komodo, for instance, does indeed offer a GUI
designer for tkinter.

You're right. Sorry... I guess I exagerated a little bit :)
I tried Komodo and WingIDE some time ago, but it was just a quick look.
I had the impression that they didn't offer much more than other free
IDEs, but I'm not one of those who rely on IDEs 40 hours a week...

Luis

Maurice LING

Tolga said:
After a very rapid entrance into the Python, I have immediately looked
for a good IDE. Komodo and Wing IDE look very good and I think they are
enough. But now, I am searching for a Pyhton environment which should
look like Delphi / Kylix, Borland's C++ builder or Allegro Common Lisp.
I have found a plug-in named "Visual Python" and this name naturally
maked me happy. But is it really "Visual" and does it provide a WYSIWYG
rapid development environment? Has it drag'n drop buttons, checkboxes,
radio buttons, forms et cetera?

Please correct me if I am wrong. It seems that most of the python GUI
builders require or is based on wxPython or others and not tkinter. I am
using Mac OSX with Fink, so it is a real hassle for me to build wxPython
and install it (haven't had much luck over the last 4-6 tries).

So, is there any python GUI builders based on tkinter? Personally, I
prefer to drag and design a screen rather than programming it abstractly.

Thanks
maurice

Kevin Walzer

Maurice said:
Please correct me if I am wrong. It seems that most of the python GUI
builders require or is based on wxPython or others and not tkinter. I am
using Mac OSX with Fink, so it is a real hassle for me to build wxPython
and install it (haven't had much luck over the last 4-6 tries).

So, is there any python GUI builders based on tkinter? Personally, I
prefer to drag and design a screen rather than programming it abstractly.

Thanks
maurice

The best one is probably the one that ships with Komodo Pro from
ActiveState.

All of the open-source Tk GUI builders that I have tried over the years
are difficult to use, unmaintained, or both. It's just simpler to write
Tk by hand.

--
Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software - "Tame the Terminal"
http://www.wordtech-software.com
sw at wordtech-software.com

Magnus Lycka

Tolga said:
After a very rapid entrance into the Python, I have immediately looked
for a good IDE. Komodo and Wing IDE look very good and I think they are
enough. But now, I am searching for a Pyhton environment which should
look like Delphi / Kylix, Borland's C++ builder or Allegro Common Lisp.
I have found a plug-in named "Visual Python" and this name naturally
maked me happy. But is it really "Visual" and does it provide a WYSIWYG
rapid development environment? Has it drag'n drop buttons, checkboxes,
radio buttons, forms et cetera?

Concerning GUI builders, you might find useful advice in the
"Still Loving Python" thread!

dberlin

Short comment. Just want to point out a tool that I have developed.
http://farpy.holev.com

Give it a try. It's purpose is to serve as a GUI editor for Python and
to other languages in the near future.