Visual Studio doesn't reflect a new property name for a derived control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by adawson@ufcw.org, Jan 31, 2005.

    I have been working on a control derived from DropDownList called
    CodeDescDropDown. Initially, I created a property called SortField to
    determine the sort order of the dropdown. I later realized I I wanted
    to share some of the functionality with other classes, but couldn't
    inherit them from CodeDescDropDown. I placed the functionality into a
    new class derived from DropDownList called CachedDropDown. When I did
    this, I realized it was best to override the dropdown's SortOrder
    property so I changed the property's name to SortOrder.

    The problem is that the properties dialog box in Visual Studio still
    shows the property as SortField. It doesn't display any build errors,
    but throws a parser error: 'Ambiguous match found' when I run the app.
    I've rebooted my machine, created a new web app and re-added all of the
    files and references. The problem exists for any web app that
    references these classes. Does anyone have any ideas?

    One caveat is that the parent class (CachedDropDown) overrides
    SortOrder as a string data type and the derived class
    (CodeDescDropDown) SortOrder property returns an enumeration data type.
    I'm working with Visual Studio 2003, .NET 1.1 and windows XP pro.
    Thanks.

    , Jan 31, 2005