volatile?

Rob Shepherd

I'm trying to get to the bottom of implementation details of the volatile system,

Does anybody know of a good up-tp-date resource on this,

some web pages say it's not or badly implemented on some JVM, some pages say some
compilers will just add an explicit synchronized wrapper around volatile members.

and of course many sites i've seen have no time stamp on the pages so i can't tell how old
and hence what JVM version would have been current.

I'd really like to know which JVM, compilers do what when it comes to volatile...

many thanks

Rob

| Rob Shepherd |
| can be contacted privately through a temporary email account. |
| Courtesy of http://www.mailinator.com |
| |
| (e-mail address removed) |
| |
| This address will not be checked (by me) after May 31st 2004 |