W3C search does not tell me what to use

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dave Kelly, Jan 20, 2008.

  1. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Looks like ' <a name=> has been deprecated. What do I substitute in
    their place.

    Here for complete document. www.texasflyfishers.org/2col.html

    Validation Output: 2 Errors

    1. Error Line 93, Column 13: document type does not allow element
    "A" here; missing one of "P", "H1", "H2", "H3", "H4", "H5", "H6",
    "PRE", "DIV", "ADDRESS" start-tag.

    <a name="top"></a>

    2. Error Line 109, Column 35: document type does not allow element
    "H1" here; missing one of "OBJECT", "MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag.

    <a name="madagordadragonfly1"><h1>Matagorda Dragon Fly 1</h1></
    a>

    Dave Kelly, Jan 20, 2008

  2. Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Looks like ' <a name=> has been deprecated. What do I substitute in
    > their place.

    Just give an id to the element that begins where you want the anchor.

    <h2 id="foobar">Foo and Bar</h2>

    > Here for complete document. www.texasflyfishers.org/2col.html
    >
    > Validation Output: 2 Errors
    >
    > 1. Error Line 93, Column 13: document type does not allow element
    > "A" here; missing one of "P", "H1", "H2", "H3", "H4", "H5", "H6",
    > "PRE", "DIV", "ADDRESS" start-tag.
    >
    > <a name="top"></a>
    >

    > 2. Error Line 109, Column 35: document type does not allow element
    > "H1" here; missing one of "OBJECT", "MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag.
    >
    > <a name="madagordadragonfly1"><h1>Matagorda Dragon Fly 1</h1></
    > a>

    It was never OK to put a heading inside an A element. Only inline
    content can be inside an A; a heading is a block element. The proper
    earlier approach was

    <h1><a name="madagordadragonfly1"></a>Matagorda Dragon Fly 1</h1>

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 20, 2008

  3. Dave Kelly wrote:

    > Looks like ' <a name=> has been deprecated. What do I substitute in
    > their place.
    >
    > Here for complete document. www.texasflyfishers.org/2col.html
    >
    > Validation Output: 2 Errors

    7 errors at this time.

    You have HTML in your style sheet.

    > 1. Error Line 93, Column 13: document type does not allow element
    > "A" here; missing one of "P", "H1", "H2", "H3", "H4", "H5", "H6",
    > "PRE", "DIV", "ADDRESS" start-tag.
    >
    > <a name="top"></a>

    It is directly in <body>. Anchors can't do that in Strict. Add it to the
    beginning of the content div. Same for the one around
    <h1>Matagorda Dragon Fly 1</h1>

    > 2. Error Line 109, Column 35: document type does not allow element
    > "H1" here; missing one of "OBJECT", "MAP", "BUTTON" start-tag.
    >
    > <a name="madagordadragonfly1"><h1>Matagorda Dragon Fly 1</h1></
    > a>

    Anchors are inline items. Put it inside the <h1>.

    Regarding:
    body {font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 80%;background:
    #FFFFFF;}

    Read this:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 20, 2008
  4. Dave Kelly

    John Hosking Guest

    Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Looks like ' <a name=> has been deprecated. What do I substitute in
    > their place.

    Use id instead of name, as Harlan advised.

    > Here for complete document. www.texasflyfishers.org/2col.html

    Congratulations!* I can now, for the first time in many months, actually
    access your site. Previously, my attempts resulted in a timeout, but
    tonight I can access both http://www.texasflyfishers.org/2col.html and
    http://www.texasflyfishers.org/. Whatever you changed recently was good.

    BTW, you might want to add a link from a content page like the URL you
    supplied to your Home page (and other pages). Folks who land on a
    content page via a search engine will get to explore your site. If you
    leave the nav options out, it's harder for them.

    *FWIW, that is. I'm hardly part of your target audience, being a
    non-fishing, non-fly-tier living outside of Texas.

    --
    John
    Read about the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

    John Hosking, Jan 21, 2008
  5. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    On Jan 20, 6:18 pm, John Hosking <>
    wrote:

    > Congratulations!* I can now, for the first time in many months, actually
    > access your site. Previously, my attempts resulted in a timeout, but
    > tonight I can access bothhttp://www.texasflyfishers.org/2col.htmlandhttp://www.texasflyfishers.org/. Whatever you changed recently was good.

    We have about 150 members in our club. Somewhere around 50 or so are
    Comcast subscribers. They have not been able to access the site in
    over 3 months.

    I recieved a message from one of the members today. He had been on the
    phone over 2 hours with Comcast tech support and they had finally
    found the problem. Two of the servers in California had some bad code
    and was blocking our website. He has spent over 9 hours on the phone
    trying to track down the culprit.

    I was having trouble with sporadically not being to find the server.
    That turned out to be the EV1 servers did not exist, had been shut
    down. I pointed my registery toward ns1.ev1servers.net and now there
    are a lot of happy campers here in Houston with both events
    happening.

    Anyways.............
    To get back to topic. I ask my question and ya'll answered. For that
    I thank everyone. I was down to 2 errors and kept fiddling with it.
    Now I have to go back and clean up my mess.

    Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
    Dave

    Dave Kelly, Jan 21, 2008
  6. Dave Kelly

    rf Guest

    "Dave Kelly" <> wrote in message
    > To get back to topic. I ask my question and ya'll answered. For that
    > I thank everyone. I was down to 2 errors and kept fiddling with it.
    > Now I have to go back and clean up my mess.

    You might look into optimising your images. You have over 900 KB of images
    on the index page alone.

    Particularly I see one (a picture of a trout) that is 158K. It's a 400x300
    image resized in the browser to 120x90. Resize the images before you upload
    them, don't resize them in the browser. Apart from the fact that it does a
    terrible job compared to your image processing software, it means I am
    downloading that huge 158K image instead of, probably, an 8K thumbnail.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 21, 2008