Wait for loading in a frame

ch.funke

Hello,

with:

window.setTimeout("document.myform.submit();",500);

I shoot a formular which posts some data. The target is an iframe. Now
I would like to "wait" until the iframe is read with page loading/
processing the data, then immediately do some other things, let's say
show an alert.

At the moment I do with:

window.setTimeout("alert('hi')",8000);

knowing that also on slow connections the iframe is ready after 8
seconds. But I want to optimize this to fire the alert directly when
the frame is "ready". I have NO influence of the content of the page
which is loaded into the iframe and I can't change something on that.

What I need is a check if the iframe-status is "ready" or "200" or
something like that...
Thanks for any help in advance.

Kind Regards,
Christian Funke

Botan Guner

Hi,

You can use window.addEventListener for Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape and
window.attachEvent for Microsoft Internet Explorer. Idea is that put a
script in your page that load's in the iframe like below;

<script type="text/javascript">
var browser=(navigator.appName=="Netscape")?true:false;// i have
checked only ie and mozilla browsers
var f = function() {
parent.someForm.submit();
}
if(browser) {//mozilla, firefox, netscape
window.addEventListener('load',f,false);
} else {//ie
window.attachEvent("onload",f);
}
</script>

This will submit the parent form when all the content in the iframe's
page loaded. I hope this helps...

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

with:

window.setTimeout("document.myform.submit();",500);

I shoot

.... "myself happily in the foot". We have resolved this yesterday already.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Botan said:
You can use window.addEventListener for Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape and
window.attachEvent for Microsoft Internet Explorer. Idea is that put a
script in your page that load's in the iframe like below;

<script type="text/javascript">
var browser=(navigator.appName=="Netscape")?true:false;// i have
checked only ie and mozilla browsers

You have not. You have tested IE and Netscapes.
var f = function() {
parent.someForm.submit();
}

Ever heard of a `function' declaration?
if(browser) {//mozilla, firefox, netscape
window.addEventListener('load',f,false);
} else {//ie
window.attachEvent("onload",f);
}
</script>

It has been a while since I have read such a load of junk.

Before posting, one should consult the FAQ of this newsgroup:

http://jibbering.com/faq/
http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami

PointedEars

ch.funke

Well, it worked after some modifications, but the idea with
EventHandler was good.
This is how I do now (using prototype libary).

function test()
{
if (window.opera)
{
window.location.href=finalurl;
}
else
{
top.location.href=finalurl;

function addEvent(obj, eventType, fn, useCaption)
{
if (obj.addEventListener) {
obj.addEventListener(eventType, fn, useCaption);
return true;
} else if (obj.attachEvent) {
var retVal = obj.attachEvent("on"+eventType, fn);
return retVal;
} else {
return false;

function removeEvent( obj, type, fn )
{
if (obj.removeEventListener) {
obj.removeEventListener( type, fn, false );
} else if (obj.detachEvent) {
obj.detachEvent( "on"+type, fn );
obj[type+fn] = null;
obj["e"+type+fn] = null;
addEvent($('myiframe'), 'load', test, false);
document.myform.submit() // <=== send form into myiframe

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Well, it worked

And what would `it' be? Have you still not learned how to quote?
after some modifications, but the idea with EventHandler was good.

You mean event listeners.
This is how I do now (using prototype libary).

I feared that you might. Including 27K of code for one line of code
that is not even needed. OMG.
function test()
{
if (window.opera)
{
window.location.href=finalurl;
}
else
{
top.location.href=finalurl;

That is just plain utter nonsense.
function addEvent(obj, eventType, fn, useCaption)

It's capture (here: to catch, to take), not caption (title).
{
if (obj.addEventListener) {

That is hardly a sufficient feature test. Search for `isMethodType' instead.
obj.addEventListener(eventType, fn, useCaption);
return true;
} else if (obj.attachEvent) {
var retVal = obj.attachEvent("on"+eventType, fn);
return retVal;
} else {
return false;

Search for `_addEventListener' instead.
function removeEvent( obj, type, fn )
{
if (obj.removeEventListener) {
obj.removeEventListener( type, fn, false );

This will fail to remove event listeners for captured events.
} else if (obj.detachEvent) {
obj.detachEvent( "on"+type, fn );
obj[type+fn] = null;
obj["e"+type+fn] = null;

What useful thing would those last two lines do? None.

My dhtml.js will soon also feature a less error-prone method for that:

function _removeEventListener(o, sEvent, fListener, bUseCapture)
{
var result = false, sHandler = "on" + sEvent;

if (o && sEvent && isMethodType(typeof fListener) && fListener)
{
if (isMethodType(typeof o.removeEventListener) && o.removeEventListener)
{
o.removeEventListener(sEvent, fListener, !!bUseCapture);
result = true;
}
else
{
if (isMethodType(typeof o.detachEvent) && o.detachEvent)
{
result = o.detachEvent(sHandler, fListener);
}

if (!result)
{
o[sHandler] = null;
result = (o[sHandler] == null);

return result;
}
addEvent($('myiframe'), 'load', test, false);

addEvent(document.frames["myiframe"], ...);

or
document.myform.submit() // <=== send form into myiframe

in the iframed document:

<!-- add feature test here -->

HTH & HAND

PointedEars