waiting for another thread without blocking resources...

Lars Uffmann

James said:
I'm not sure what you mean. You can't join a thread if the
thread object which started it has been destructed. There's
certainly nothing that says you can't pass a pointer or a
reference to this object into a function, and do the join there.

You got it right - I was confused by your above statement, making it
sound as if only the object itself was able to call join() - as if that
was private... And I guess I should have known the answer without
inquiring further. Thank you anyways :)
I'm not sure what the problem is. Boost thread seems pretty
well documented to me. (I learned about this business about
joinable/detached threads from the documentation.)
Well - maybe I have to get used to it, but that's already a bad sign in
my eyes, because I was able to work with php.net and cplusplus.com
reference documentations right away, much different from boost
documentation. I'm not an expert, but not a beginner either...

Anyways - I solved this join() issue, as you can see in my reply to cholo.

Best Regards,

Lars