WARNING: (374) ORDER command could not be obeyed for section STACK

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Alastair, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I am new to Google news groups, so hello.

    I am an embedded C programmer of some experience, but I have come
    accross a build error, while using MCC68K (Microtec C Compiler for
    68000 series). I cannot figure out the exact reason for the error, and
    I cannot seem to find any information on the error from documentation
    that I have or from google search. So I have come here!

    Here is a copy of the the last few lines before the linker error:
    Linking :
    1 file(s) copied.
    abisscan.obl
    ber.obl
    bistfunc.obl
    control.obl
    debug.obl
    defs.obl
    lapb.obl
    layer2.obl
    q703.obl
    q704.obl
    schedule.obl
    x25.obl
    WARNING: (374) ORDER command could not be obeyed for section STACK
    Errors: 0, Warnings: 1

    The compilation of all my C and H files is ok, but during the link
    stage I get the warning as shown above.

    If I remove the last changes that I made, then the error goes away.
    However there seems to be nothing wrong with the code that I have added
    (a simple static string array, the kind of which I have added many
    times before).

    I seem to remember having this problem once a long time ago, but I was
    not experienced enough to deal with it - it seems nothing has changed!

    Can anyone tell me why I get this error?, or where (what web site /
    manual) I can get some information on this error. (I have looked at the
    Microtec web site, but it is difficult to search for such a specific
    topic).

    Thanks for any help.
    Best regards,
    Alastair

    Alastair, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Re: WARNING: (374) ORDER command could not be obeyed for sectionSTACK

    Please read this first: <URL:http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

    > I am an embedded C programmer of some experience, but I have come
    > accross a build error, while using MCC68K (Microtec C Compiler for
    > 68000 series). I cannot figure out the exact reason for the error, and
    > I cannot seem to find any information on the error from documentation
    > that I have or from google search. So I have come here!

    This group is for discussing the C language, not problems with
    particular tools or platforms.

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav -

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    Hi Des,

    I feel that this is related to the C language as it is C code that I
    change to get the compile error. Whether it is a limit of the tools I
    am using, or there is some obscure error with my coding that cuases
    this, I am not certain.

    But ok, point taken, I'll find somewhere else.

    Thanks for your help,
    Alastair

    Alastair, Jan 3, 2006
  4. >I feel that this is related to the C language as it is C code that I
    >change to get the compile error. Whether it is a limit of the tools I
    >am using, or there is some obscure error with my coding that cuases
    >this, I am not certain.

    No, it is not. It has to do with how a particular toolchain processes
    your code. (And that was not a compile error, but a linker warning.)

    In any case, more appropriate forums would be comp.arch.embedded or
    comp.sys.m68k - You may find there somebody familiar with the same
    tools you are using.

    You may also try undoing all your changes an reapplying them one by
    one, this may shed some light on what the root cause is.

    Good luck!

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group, ]
    [ return address is invalid. ]

    Roberto Waltman, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Alastair

    Chuck F. Guest

    Alastair wrote:

    > I feel that this is related to the C language as it is C code
    > that I change to get the compile error. Whether it is a limit of
    > the tools I am using, or there is some obscure error with my
    > coding that cuases this, I am not certain.
    >
    > But ok, point taken, I'll find somewhere else.

    You failed to quote, as previously instructed. Further
    instructions in my sig. below. Do not fail to read and follow
    them. Then you may be able to use the broken Google interface to
    Usenet.

    IIRC you had some sort of embedded system problem.
    comp.arch.embedded might be a better fit.

    Chuck F., Jan 3, 2006
  6. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    ok... I don't remember being "instructed" to do anything, but I'll go
    along with it, since I'm new.

    Thanks,
    Alastair

    Alastair, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Alastair

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Alastair wrote:
    > ok... I don't remember being "instructed" to do anything,

    You were pointed at http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ tells you to quote
    what you are replying to, how to do it, and why it is required.

    > but I'll go
    > along with it, since I'm new.

    Then DO SO. You have just replied to a message pointing out the need to
    provide context saying you would go along but yet again FAILED to
    provide context. To make matters worse, you did not even do it as a
    reply to the message you were replying to, so even if people happen to
    have the entire thread they won't be able to tell easily what you are
    replying to (I deduced it because, by chance, I happen to have just seen
    a post talking about you having been instructed to provide context).
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Living in interesting times.

    Flash Gordon, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Re: WARNING: (374) ORDER command could not be obeyed for sectionSTACK

    "Alastair" <> writes:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I am new to Google news groups, so hello.

    This is not a Google newsgroup, it's a Usenet newsgroup. Usenet has
    existed for decades (I think it predates the Internet).
    groups.google.com is merely an *interface* to Usenet, and in many ways
    an inferior one. (Google also provides some of its own non-Usenet
    groups via the same interface.)

    Most of us read and write to Usenet through an NNTP interface, which
    works very well, but the Google interface encourages its users to post
    in ways that cause serious problems for the rest of us.

    Your misunderstanding is quite understandable, since Google seems to
    go out of its way to blur the distinction.

    See <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> for more information.

    > I am an embedded C programmer of some experience, but I have come
    > accross a build error, while using MCC68K (Microtec C Compiler for
    > 68000 series). I cannot figure out the exact reason for the error, and
    > I cannot seem to find any information on the error from documentation
    > that I have or from google search. So I have come here!

    As others have pointed out, we can't help you with this problem. Even
    though you're programming in C, it doesn't appear to be a problem with
    the C programming language. You'll have better luck in another
    newsgroup.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 3, 2006
  9. Re: WARNING: (374) ORDER command could not be obeyed for sectionSTACK

    Alastair a écrit :
    > I am an embedded C programmer of some experience, but I have come
    > accross a build error, while using MCC68K (Microtec C Compiler for
    > 68000 series).

    <way off-topic>

    Lucky you. It happens that I have used this compiler for a while, but to
    be honnest, I feel a little rusty about it...

    > Here is a copy of the the last few lines before the linker error:
    > Linking :
    > 1 file(s) copied.
    > abisscan.obl
    > ber.obl
    > bistfunc.obl
    > control.obl
    > debug.obl
    > defs.obl
    > lapb.obl
    > layer2.obl
    > q703.obl
    > q704.obl
    > schedule.obl
    > x25.obl
    > WARNING: (374) ORDER command could not be obeyed for section STACK
    > Errors: 0, Warnings: 1

    > If I remove the last changes that I made, then the error goes away.
    > However there seems to be nothing wrong with the code that I have added
    > (a simple static string array, the kind of which I have added many
    > times before).

    A simple static string array can be big enough to kill you stack space
    memory or to prevent it to be mapped at the place you wanted to. A check
    of the .map should shed some light on your problem.

    </>

    --
    A+

    Emmanuel Delahaye

    Emmanuel Delahaye, Jan 3, 2006
  10. Alastair

    Chuck F. Guest

    Alastair wrote:

    > ok... I don't remember being "instructed" to do anything, but
    > I'll go along with it, since I'm new.

    The first response to your original post, by Mr. Smorgrav, included
    the following:

    Quote:
    ">> I am new to Google news groups, so hello.

    Please read this first: <URL:http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>"
    Endquote.

    And your response, without context, was to his posting. Therefore
    you must have seen it and chosen to ignore it, as you have again.
    This is apparently either deliberately rude or an attempt to annoy.

    Chuck F., Jan 3, 2006
  11. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    Chuck F. wrote:
    > Alastair wrote:
    > >
    > > ok... I don't remember being "instructed" to do anything, but
    > > I'll go along with it, since I'm new.

    > The first response to your original post, by Mr. Smorgrav, included
    > the following:
    >
    > Quote:
    > ">> I am new to Google news groups, so hello.
    >
    > Please read this first: <URL:http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>"
    > Endquote.
    >
    > And your response, without context, was to his posting. Therefore
    > you must have seen it and chosen to ignore it, as you have again.
    > This is apparently either deliberately rude or an attempt to annoy.

    Ok, I got the wrong reply again becuase I am still getting used to the
    layout here, and I'm sorry, but I missed that very first line with the
    link (it was in the middle of my message context! - but I see now that
    that is the normal...).

    Anyway, its nice to have such a warm welcome... thanks.

    Alastair, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    > Lucky you. It happens that I have used this compiler for a while, but to
    > be honnest, I feel a little rusty about it...
    >
    > A simple static string array can be big enough to kill you stack space
    > memory or to prevent it to be mapped at the place you wanted to. A check
    > of the .map should shed some light on your problem.

    Hi Emmanuel,
    Appreciate the information, I will look at the .map file.

    I am now moving this query to other newsgropups...
    Thanks.

    Alastair, Jan 4, 2006
  13. Alastair

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Re: WARNING: (374) ORDER command could not be obeyed for sectionSTACK

    Alastair wrote:

    <snip>

    > Ok, I got the wrong reply again becuase I am still getting used to the
    > layout here, and I'm sorry, but I missed that very first line with the
    > link (it was in the middle of my message context! - but I see now that
    > that is the normal...).
    >
    > Anyway, its nice to have such a warm welcome... thanks.

    Getting it wrong is only a problem when you fail to learn after it is
    pointed out. In this case, the biggest problem is that Google does the
    wrong thing by default making it hard for newcomers such as yourself. I
    would recommend you complain at Google and also, if you can find it and
    its still open, respond to their survey to say you want them to quote
    the message by default.

    Welcome to the group. Bring your C questions here (as opposed to
    implementation specifics) and people will be happy to help with them.
    That can include questions like, "is <whatever> part of C?" since,
    although we might not know it if it is an extension, people here will
    certainly know whether or not it is part of C.

    Flash Gordon, Jan 4, 2006
  14. Alastair

    Chuck F. Guest

    Re: WARNING: (374) ORDER command could not be obeyed for sectionSTACK

    Alastair wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Ok, I got the wrong reply again becuase I am still getting used
    > to the layout here, and I'm sorry, but I missed that very first
    > line with the link (it was in the middle of my message context!
    > - but I see now that that is the normal...).
    >
    > Anyway, its nice to have such a warm welcome... thanks.

    You are welcome. Actually the initial trial by fire is helpful if
    it makes the further correspondence intelligible to all. Now that
    you have gotten the idea you can join in the fun freely, and pick
    apart minor and not so minor language goofs. People may not even
    notice you are using google.

    Now that that is done we can return to your original. From a
    glance at the subject, I suspect it will be off-topic. This group
    discusses only the standard C language, as defined by the various
    ISO standards, and not extensions etc. That way we have a firm
    base for any discussions.

    Chuck F., Jan 4, 2006
  15. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    >Chuck wrote:
    >You are welcome. Actually the initial trial by fire is helpful if
    >it makes the further correspondence intelligible to all. Now that
    >you have gotten the idea you can join in the fun freely, and pick
    >apart minor and not so minor language goofs. People may not even
    >notice you are using google.
    >
    >Now that that is done we can return to your original. From a
    >glance at the subject, I suspect it will be off-topic. This group
    >discusses only the standard C language, as defined by the various
    >ISO standards, and not extensions etc. That way we have a firm
    >base for any discussions.
    >
    >Flash wrote:
    >Getting it wrong is only a problem when you fail to learn after it is
    >pointed out. In this case, the biggest problem is that Google does the
    >wrong thing by default making it hard for newcomers such as yourself. I
    >would recommend you complain at Google and also, if you can find it and
    >its still open, respond to their survey to say you want them to quote
    >the message by default.
    >
    >Welcome to the group. Bring your C questions here (as opposed to
    >implementation specifics) and people will be happy to help with them.
    >That can include questions like, "is <whatever> part of C?" since,
    >although we might not know it if it is an extension, people here will
    >certainly know whether or not it is part of C.

    Guys,

    Fair enough.

    Thanks
    Alastair