Watir is acting retarded

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Daniel Waite, Feb 5, 2009.

  1. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    This...

    NameError: uninitialized constant Windows::API::Error

    Or this...

    irb(main):009:0> Watir::IE.new.goto 'google.com'
    NoMethodError: undefined method `goto' for #<Watir::IE:0x32e108c>

    I reinstalled Windows about 4 hours ago. I installed the network card
    drivers and Ruby via the one-click installer.

    I then installed the Watir gem. The above error messages are all I'm
    getting when attempting to use it.

    I am running as the administrator on this machine. I have registered the
    AutoIt file manually.

    Any ideas? Google turns up _nothing_ related specifically to these
    issues. Surely I cannot be the only person who has encountered this.

    Daniel Waite, Feb 5, 2009

  2. Daniel Waite

    Brian Tomlin Guest

    I am having this exact same problem, and it just started yesterday. I
    don't know if this is some kind of crazy coincidence or what the heck is
    going on. It's really weird because I ran Watir scripts earlier in the
    day yesterday, and now they just don't work. Unfortunately I have no
    idea what the cause might be, but I have a thread about this started in
    the Watir group over in google groups. I will post back here if they
    have any insight into this.

    Brian Tomlin, Feb 5, 2009

  3. Daniel Waite

    Brian Tomlin Guest

    Charley Baker (Watir lead developer) had the solution to this in the
    Watir group. It appears that the win32utils libraries had a
    compatibility issue. The solution is just to update the libraries with
    this:

    gem install windows-pr

    If you are not a member of the Watir group, I highly recommend joining:

    http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general?hl=en

    Brian Tomlin, Feb 5, 2009
  4. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    Brian Tomlin wrote:
    > gem install windows-pr

    That helped. But now I am seeing this...

    C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/core_ext/m
    odule/introspection.rb:70:in `const_get': no such file to load --
    safariwatir (M
    issingSourceFile)

    On a whim I tried gem install safariwatir and get...

    ERROR: Error installing safariwatir:

    C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install safariwatir
    create C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.5.1/src/osx_ruby.h
    create
    C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.5.1/src/osx_intern.h ...
    creating Makefile

    nmake
    'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    ... Really? I'm on Windows. I don't have make.

    Ugh... This gem USED to work just fine.

    Daniel Waite, Feb 5, 2009
  5. Daniel Waite

    Brian Tomlin Guest

    Daniel, I think you and I are leading parallel lives. I saw the same
    thing in a script I had that was something like this:

    require 'rubygems'
    require 'watir'

    ie = IE.new

    It used to work, but for some reason to get it to work now I had to
    change the last line to:

    ie = Watir::IE.new

    I hope this works for you.

    Brian Tomlin, Feb 5, 2009
  6. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    Brian Tomlin wrote:
    > Daniel, I think you and I are leading parallel lives. I saw the same
    > thing in a script I had that was something like this:
    >
    > require 'rubygems'
    > require 'watir'
    >
    > ie = IE.new
    >

    > It used to work, but for some reason to get it to work now I had to
    > change the last line to:
    >
    > ie = Watir::IE.new
    >

    > I hope this works for you.

    I've always used Watir::IE.start(string).

    Currently, this is working, but calling...

    browser = Watir::IE.start(uri)
    browser.text_field:)id, text_field_id)

    Is raising:

    uninitialized constant
    Watir::InputElementLocator::MissingWayOfFindingObject Exception

    Did they change the API and not tell anyone? As far as I can tell via
    the cheatsheet (http://secretgeek.net/watir_cheatsheet.asp) they
    haven't. What gives?

    Daniel Waite, Feb 5, 2009
  7. Daniel Waite

    Brian Tomlin Guest

    That should work as far as I know. You might want to post this question
    on the Watir group along with the html of the element you are trying to
    access.

    Brian Tomlin, Feb 5, 2009
  8. Daniel Waite

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    May I humbly suggest that we use another adverb?

    It is difficult enough being born with a cognitive development handicap
    about which neither you nor anyone else can do much. It made much harder
    when society in general uses words describing you in ways suggesting
    that you're undesirable, unwanted, unlike, etc.

    In the programming/computer world, we have a similar term, but one which
    has much less of a negative loading - AND we're much more able to cope
    with any negativity associated with it than are people with cognitive
    development challenges. That word is nerd. No one ever feels good about
    being called a nerd. No one ever intends good by using the word (except
    in humorous settings).

    So, lest this get too serious (though it IS a serious issue), dare I say
    that to refer to Watir as "retarded" is a really nerdy thing to do? :)
    No, I daren't. But...that just might slip out if I allow myself to
    bumble alone in my native nerdy mindlessness. Oh my...what did I just
    do? It's so easy, isn't it?

    No one needs to feel bad, or chastised. I myself once used the "r" word,
    in front of 150 people. I also never forget having done it. It was utter
    mindlessness, and I intended no harm (I also apologized in my next
    sentence), but...it would have been hurtful anyway to anyone affected
    who heard it. AND it could have provided a bad example, and that's what
    I'm concerned about here. Use of such unfortunately pejorative terms
    (and they shouldn't be) really is not tolerable. We all need to be
    careful, I think.

    t.

    Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
    << >> (email)
    << TomCloyd.com >> (website)

    Tom Cloyd, Feb 5, 2009
  9. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    Brian Tomlin wrote:
    > That should work as far as I know. You might want to post this question
    > on the Watir group along with the html of the element you are trying to
    > access.

    Ah... I'm the retard I guess. Brian, your suggestion did work (thank
    you). In my haste I typed...

    browser.text_field:)iid, id_string)

    Catch it? Hehe... That's what I get for being impatient. Oh well,
    problem solved. Yay for Watir! That said, someone please update the
    Watir project page! The rdoc documentation is covering 1.5 or something.

    @Tom:

    > That word is nerd. No one ever feels good about
    > being called a nerd. No one ever intends good by
    > using the word (except in humorous settings).

    Your writing is collectivist in nature, which I reject wholesale. But
    this is a forum about Ruby, not philosophy/economics. If you want to
    talk about such things meet me at http://mises.org/Community/forums/ and
    I will gladly address your points. My username is angryrabbit. See you
    there... :)

    Daniel Waite, Feb 6, 2009
  10. Daniel Waite wrote:
    > This...
    >
    > NameError: uninitialized constant Windows::API::Error
    >
    > Or this...
    >
    > irb(main):009:0> Watir::IE.new.goto 'google.com'
    > NoMethodError: undefined method `goto' for #<Watir::IE:0x32e108c>
    >
    > I reinstalled Windows about 4 hours ago. I installed the network card
    > drivers and Ruby via the one-click installer.
    >
    > I then installed the Watir gem. The above error messages are all I'm
    > getting when attempting to use it.
    >
    > I am running as the administrator on this machine. I have registered the
    > AutoIt file manually.
    >
    > Any ideas? Google turns up _nothing_ related specifically to these
    > issues. Surely I cannot be the only person who has encountered this.

    Yep, you want this combination:

    win32-api 1.3.0 or later
    windows-api 0.3.0 or later
    windows-pr 0.9.9 or later

    Regards,

    Dan

    Daniel Berger, Feb 6, 2009
  11. Daniel Waite

    Daniel Waite Guest

    Daniel Berger wrote:
    > Yep, you want this combination:
    >
    > win32-api 1.3.0 or later
    > windows-api 0.3.0 or later
    > windows-pr 0.9.9 or later

    Duly noted. Installing Watir installed all those things (plus a few
    other gems). However, I have two versions of windows-pr: 0.9.3 and
    0.9.9. My guess is that Watir installed 0.9.3. Thanks for the summary.
    :)

    Daniel Waite, Feb 6, 2009
  12. Daniel Waite

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    Re: Watir is acting

    Daniel Waite wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > @Tom:
    >
    >> That word is nerd. No one ever feels good about
    >> being called a nerd. No one ever intends good by
    >> using the word (except in humorous settings).
    >>

    > Your writing is collectivist

    meaning? (I know the word, but your usage seem obscure to me, so I don't
    understand you.) And in any case, to label something is not to refute an
    argument. Only reasoning can do that.
    > in nature, which I reject wholesale.

    What I was saying, which I'll now put more directly, is that your use of
    that word is unacceptable in polite and educated society. It hurts
    people who have already been hurt enough, including some of my clients
    and a member of my family. I really shouldn't have to tell you this. If
    someone uses that word as you have ANYWHERE, and their usage goes
    unchallenged, there is an implicit acceptance of that usage. To regress
    toward a time when prejudicial speech was far more common than it is
    today is not OK by me, and I believe I have a lot of company.

    Your rejection of what I'm trying to tell you is perilously close to
    gross ignorance. Or maybe you just don't give a damn, in which case the
    problem is more serious than that of being ignorant.
    > But
    > this is a forum about Ruby, not philosophy/economics.

    What I'm trying to get across to you is neither philosophy nor
    economics. This IS a forum about Ruby, inhabited by members of the human
    society, where most of us consider it unacceptable to think, act, or
    speak in prejudicial ways. You don't get a ticket to act like an
    imbecile here simply because you program in Ruby - or for any other
    reason that I can think of.

    Your use of "retarded" is prejudicial because it is a word with only
    negative connotations, and it applies to a group of people who are
    victims of their genetics. If they were a gene pool, use of the word
    "retarded" would be racism, without question. There was a time in my
    country (USA) when that was widely acceptable. In my lifetime, this has
    changed. We're not going back to that former time if I have anything to
    say about it.

    My use of the word "imbecile" in a previous paragraph is different. It
    is NOT used any longer to refer to any class of people (although it was,
    at one time). Today, it simply means something like "utter fool". It
    cannot be seen as prejudicial usage.
    > If you want to
    > talk about such things meet me at http://mises.org/Community/forums/ and
    > I will gladly address your points. My username is angryrabbit. See you
    > there... :)

    You've met me here, and here is were the error was made, so here is the
    appropriate forum. It is not acceptable to me to have your choice of
    word HERE go without challenge. You made a mistake. I hope you will
    think it over. You're not the only one inhabiting this planet, or even
    this forum. Do it again, and I'll challenge you again, because it will
    still be hurtful, and that's the problem.

    Tom Cloyd, Feb 6, 2009
  13. Daniel Waite

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    Daniel and other,

    I should have added - I've said what I think needs to be said about this
    issue here, and even explained why I said it (the hurtfulness issue, and
    the issue about the need for the behavior to be challenged in the arena
    where it occurred).

    I don't need to speak further about this, as I've done what I felt I
    needed to do. Respond as you wish; I'll probably not respond myself.

    Daniel, I have no particular reason to think you're a bad person. That
    has never been my thought. It was always about a particular verbal
    behavior that was not OK, and nothing more. It's important that that be
    made clear.

    And if you want to backchannel about this, that'd be fine. I'm content
    at this point to take it off the list.

    Tom Cloyd, Feb 6, 2009