    some strict Java rules to security. Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    Dave Boland, May 10, 2007

  2. Dave Boland

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Dave Boland wrote:
    > I'm doing some work on a data acquisition system for temperature
    > sensors. The displayed readings don't change much over time, so what I
    > would like to do is to force a page refresh only when the data changes
    > by 5% or more, or when the temperature is over a limit.

    JavaApplet, see
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/applet.html

    > So far my options seem to be frequent page refreshes using a meta tag,
    > or using Java.

    I think you mean JavaScript, which isn't at all the same thing as Java.
    See this article: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971

    > The meta tags are a fixed time interval and may be too
    > frequent (or not frequent enough)

    The only way to make HTML to load a page is to let an user load a page or use
    meta tag to reload in an interval, or send a http-header that tells the
    browser to reload the page after a time interval or use javascript to count
    down time to force the browser to reload the page.

    A server can't just send a page to someone without request (of course it
    could, but no browser would get the data).

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, May 10, 2007