ways to improve compilation?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jéjé, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Jéjé

    Jéjé Guest

    Hi,

    hoew can I improve the compilation process of a sharepoint website?

    my server is:
    2 * P3 Xeom 1ghz
    4go ram
    2 * 36gb (mirror for OS and website)
    2 * 36 Raid 0 (stripping; for temp files and ASP.net compiled files)
    3.*36 raid 5 (for databases)

    I found this server slow!!!
    another new server:
    Celeron 2.5ghz
    1.5gb ram
    2 *36gb (mirror)

    the second server takes far less time to compile the pages and done some
    rendering processes

    any idea how can I improve my server A?

    thanks.

    Jerome.
    Jéjé, Nov 8, 2004

  2. The web pages should be compiled only once, not every time they load. If
    you're seeing performance problems it's unlikely that the issue is with the
    web site code itself.

    --

    Klaus H. Probst, MVP
    http://www.vbbox.com/

    Klaus H. Probst, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Jéjé

    Jéjé Guest

    I know that the page is compiled only 1 time
    but we have a lot of pages, and the CSC process appear to many times and the
    compilation process himself is long.
    specially after an iisreset command.

    Jéjé, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Jeje,

    It appears Server A is running the database. Having a dedicated SQL box that
    isn't the front end web server will probably crank your performance up a few
    notches... which is why Server B is a lot faster-- it's not dealing with any
    database work.

    For portalbuilder.org, I run a dedicated SQL box, a web + serach box, and a
    index +job box. Keeping everything but web OFF of the front end will
    dramatically increase your performance... so you may want to use server B as
    your front end and keep Server A for your backend. Add a cheap box for your
    index and job server (you don't want that on either your front end or
    database server optimally) and you'll be STYLIN.

    Daniel Larson
    www.portalbuilder.org

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsIExhcnNvbiAod3d3LnBvcnRhbGJ1aWxk, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Jéjé

    Jéjé Guest

    the server B is also a standalone server (wioth all in 1 box : database, web
    sites, sharepoint...)
    and server B has only 2 IDE HD!
    no SCSI!
    (all NTFS)

    Jéjé, Nov 8, 2004
  6. That's crazy Jeje!

    There must be some sort of bottleneck we're not seeing... sorry I couldn't
    help, but let us know what you find!

    Daniel Larson

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsIExhcnNvbiAod3d3LnBvcnRhbGJ1aWxk, Nov 11, 2004
  7. Jéjé

    Jéjé Guest

    I know :)

    and I've not found the bottleneck!