    application? What tools tools are out there for such a project.

    Thanks,
    Raffi

    Raffi, Apr 12, 2005

  2. Raffi

    Kane Guest

    Since you need javascript the cheap-n-dirty approach (xml parser, gui
    library of your choice and just enough widget logic/https for your app
    to work) is a no-go. I don't know of a python library with html
    rendering and javascript (and https support could easily be another
    barrier).

    Another option starts with Mozilla/Firefox; just strip away all
    unnecessary GUI 'features' with a customized XUL. I imagine you could
    effectivly hardcode the 'home' URL and make the location bar read-only
    without great effort. That will give you HTTPS support, html rendering
    and full javascript fairly painlessly.

    Course' if your app was designed and tested for IE only you'll have to
    wrap the MS rendering/javascript IE libraries. Plenty of commercial
    programs do it (AIM and Quickbooks come to mind) but I've never tried
    and suspect there are serious licencing hurdles.

    Kane, Apr 12, 2005

  3. Raffi

    Chung Leong Guest

    "Raffi" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I hope I'm posting this question to the correct newsgroups. We have a
    > web based database application that's accessed using IE. The
    > application opens a popup window to run in. With all the popup blockers
    > and compromised browsers out there, I'm looking into developing a web
    > based custom client side application to access the application with.
    > The application will be developed to only reach the web application
    > site using the https protocol. It also needs to javascript enabled. It
    > will be downloaded from the main web site and used to access the
    > database application.
    >
    > Any suggestions/ideas on how to go about developing the client
    > application? What tools tools are out there for such a project.

    It's easy. Just create an application that hosts the MSHTML ActiveX control
    (IE itself minus the interface). With tools like Delphi or Visual Basic,
    it's literally a matter of dragging and dropping the control into the form.
    Even in Visual C++ it's not that hard.

    Forcing Javascript to be on is somewhat more tricky. There are a couple COM
    interfaces that you to implement.

    I suggest you google "MSHTML hosting" for more info. The newsgroup
    microsoft.public.inetsdk.programming.mshtml_hosting is also an excellent
    resource.

    Chung Leong, Apr 13, 2005

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/hta/hta_node_entry.asp

    Berislav Lopac, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Raffi

    Raffi Guest

    Berislav Lopac wrote:
    > Raffi wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I hope I'm posting this question to the correct newsgroups. We have

    > > web based database application that's accessed using IE. The
    > > application opens a popup window to run in. With all the popup
    > > blockers and compromised browsers out there, I'm looking into
    > > developing a web based custom client side application to access the
    > > application with. The application will be developed to only reach

    the
    > > web application site using the https protocol. It also needs to
    > > javascript enabled. It will be downloaded from the main web site

    and
    > > used to access the database application.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions/ideas on how to go about developing the client
    > > application? What tools tools are out there for such a project.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/hta/hta_node_entry.asp

    Thanks for the suggestions. They'll give me the starting point I need.

    Raffi

    Raffi, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Chung Leong wrote:

    > It's easy. Just create an application that hosts the MSHTML ActiveX control
    > (IE itself minus the interface). With tools like Delphi or Visual Basic,
    > it's literally a matter of dragging and dropping the control into the form.
    > Even in Visual C++ it's not that hard.

    Hi Chung ,

    Of coure i want to ship my personal browser with my products too :),
    but will this be immune to those popup blockers?

    Thanks,

    Henk Verhoeven.

    Henk Verhoeven, Apr 14, 2005
  7. Raffi

    Chung Leong Guest

    "Henk Verhoeven" <> wrote in message
    > Chung Leong wrote:
    > >
    > > It's easy. Just create an application that hosts the MSHTML ActiveX

    control
    > > (IE itself minus the interface). With tools like Delphi or Visual Basic,
    > > it's literally a matter of dragging and dropping the control into the

    form.
    > > Even in Visual C++ it's not that hard.
    > >

    > Hi Chung ,
    >
    > Of coure i want to ship my personal browser with my products too :),
    > but will this be immune to those popup blockers?

    Third party extensions are not loaded by the MSHTML control, so it wouldn't
    be affected by pop-up blockers--or spyware for that matters. WinXP SP2's
    popup blocker is controlled by something known as IInternetSecurityManager,
    whose behavior you can override by implementing your own.

    Chung Leong, Apr 15, 2005
  8. Raffi

    Rogan Dawes Guest

    Raffi wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I hope I'm posting this question to the correct newsgroups. We have a
    > web based database application that's accessed using IE. The
    > application opens a popup window to run in. With all the popup blockers
    > and compromised browsers out there, I'm looking into developing a web
    > based custom client side application to access the application with.
    > The application will be developed to only reach the web application
    > site using the https protocol. It also needs to javascript enabled. It
    > will be downloaded from the main web site and used to access the
    > database application.
    >
    > Any suggestions/ideas on how to go about developing the client
    > application? What tools tools are out there for such a project.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Raffi

    Wouldn't it be easier simply to make it NOT open a pop-up window?
    Besides, most browsers usually allow you to whitelist a site, or allow a
    single pop-up per click . . .

    Rogan
    --
    Rogan Dawes

    *ALL* messages to will be dropped, and added
    to my blacklist. Please respond to "nntp AT dawes DOT za DOT net"

    Rogan Dawes, Apr 15, 2005