web control properties with child poperties in designer...

Klaus Salchner

I have two issues with properties of a web control (like a class) which have
sub-properties. I want to be able to show these sub-properties on the
property designer so that the user can change the property values through
the designer:

(a) I create my won class like Address which has a Text and Description
property. These properties have the get/set accessors. Then I have a
property of the type Address on my control itself, again with the get/set
accessors. I see the property on the designer, but it is read-only and the
value is set to the type, e.g. MyControl.PropertyName.

// PlayerAddress is a complex property whose
// type is the class Address. Address has four
// properties, Street, City, State, and Zip. These become
// subproperties of SoccerPlayer.
public Address PlayerAddress
{
get
{
return address;

(b) I have a composite control which has added childs, like a text control.
Now I exposed a property TextFont on my control with a get/set accessor. It
gets/sets the Font property of the text child control. I can see the font on
the property designer, I can set the values, but they are not persistent. I
do not see any HTML tags created and when I close the page and open it again
all the settings are lost. But when I change them I see the rendering on the
designer change accordingly.

/// <summary>
/// the font to use for the tool box description
/// </summary>
[Browsable(true),
Category("ToolBoxItemAppearance"),
Description("The font of the description control.")]
public FontInfo DescriptionFont
{
get
{
// makes sure that all the client controls are created as we need to
get a reference
// to the font property of the description control
EnsureChildControls();

// returs the font of the description label
return TheDescriptionLabel.Font;

So there is something I am doing wrong here. And I can't find any workable
example. Even the example provided in the documentation shows the behavior
described in point (a).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Even if it just pointing to a working
sample so I can figure out what I need to do.

Also in case some MS guys read this. When it comes to web controls and the
more advanced thing you can do - I unfortunately I have to say the
documentation is lacking - lacking in a big way!

Regards, Klaus
Klaus Salchner
email: (e-mail address removed)

Proud member of