    its original position.

    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

    Bill Cohagan, Nov 8, 2003

  2. I, and most developers it seems, prefer Flow Layout. It is much more
    flexible.
    Grid Layout can be nice for some things, such as fixed size dialogs, but I
    don't use it unless I have a good reason. I wish FlowLayout was the default
    in Visual Studio.NET.
    At least you can change this to be the default layout on a per project
    basis.
    In the solution explorer window, right click on your project and select
    properties.
    Then under Common Properties select Designer Defaults.
    There you can set the default page layout for your project.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    "Bill Cohagan" <> wrote in message
    > I'm working through the ASP.Net Quick Start book and have managed to get
    > pretty confused about something. I've created a WebForm and am trying to
    > "place" a Label Web Form control on the form. I've got Grid mode turned

    on.

    > If I drag the control from the ToolBox I can drop it wherever I want
    > (subject to the grid of course). If however I just double click the

    control
    > then it gets placed in the upper left corner. Subsequently I'm unable to
    > drag it and place it elsewhere. When I attempt to drag the cursor changes
    > as though it's going to work, but when I release the mouse button the
    > control remains where it is. Also, if I use the first technique to place
    > it, then change (say) the font, then it ends up back in the corner.
    >
    > So, can anyone explain this behaviour to me? Seems to me that I should be
    > able to place a control anywhere on the grid, even after it's been placed

    in

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 9, 2003

  3. You might also try just editing the HTML directly by
    clicking the "html" tab in the bottom-left portion of
    vs. It takes what's in your GUI designer and show it to
    you in HTML format where you can edit it directly. I
    usually get things close to the way I want them to look
    in the GUI mode, then tweak in HTML.
    Hope this helps,
    -Larry

    Larry Brindise, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Bill Cohagan

    Bill Cohagan Guest

    OK. But why does grid work so inconsistently? I thought the whole purpose
    for the grid was so that you could place controls easily (as is the case
    when you drag one off the toolbox.) Is this just a bug in VS? (BTW I'm using
    VS.Net 2003)

    Thanks for the response,
    Bill

    Bill Cohagan, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Bill Cohagan

    Bill Cohagan Guest

    Larry
    Thanks for the response. Since I'm not "in the heat of battle" on a
    project, but am simply trying to learn how to use VS.Net and ASP.Net I'm
    more interested in understanding why I'm having this problem than I am in
    working around it. Have you got any idea why I'm experiencing these problems
    placing web form controls on a grid?

    Thanks again,
    Bill

    Bill Cohagan, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Bill Cohagan

    Bill Cohagan Guest

    OK, I've discovered the source of the problem. Somehow while experimenting
    with the designer I added a SPAN element. Subsequent new web controls ended
    up being placed within that span element. This (somehow) disabled the
    control's ability to be repositioned. I don't yet understand the details for
    this, but I think I can figure that out with a little more research/reading.

    Onward...

    Bill

    Bill Cohagan, Nov 9, 2003