    database table on a network.

    Thanks for all help!

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Hywel Jenkins, Dec 2, 2003

  3. William Tasso, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    William,

    Thanks for responding!

    Excuse my dumb question, what is required to be installed on a server to be able
    to run Asp? Is Asp special software?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Steve wrote:

    > Excuse my dumb question, what is required to be installed on a server to be able
    > to run Asp? Is Asp special software?

    The server must either be:

    * Microsoft IIS; or

    * Apache with mod_perl enabled and the Apache::ASP Perl module installed.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Excuse my dumb question, what is required to be installed on a
    >> server to be able to run Asp? Is Asp special software?

    > The server must either be:
    >
    > * Microsoft IIS; or
    >
    > * Apache with mod_perl enabled and the Apache::ASP Perl module
    > installed.

    Yes, but as the O/P was a MS-Access question I suspect he needs a Windows
    (IIS) server or perhaps a different RDBMS.

    Re-reading the O/P - it seems this could be an intranet issue. IIS is
    trivial to install/set up on any NT4/5 server - assuming you have the
    necessary admin rights.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    William,

    So are you saying that an install of IIS will include whatever is necessary to
    run ASP code? Even dumber question, can you buy ASP in a box and install it?

    Steve, Dec 3, 2003
  8. Steve wrote:
    > So are you saying that an install of IIS will include whatever is necessary to
    > run ASP code? Even dumber question, can you buy ASP in a box and install it?

    Besides some attempts to clone ASP, IIS is the only thing which can run
    ASP. And you can buy IIS in a box.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 3, 2003
  9. Steve

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:46:50 GMT, Leif K-Brooks is reported to
    have stated:
    (one of the groups trimmed - doesn't exist on my server)

    > Besides some attempts to clone ASP,

    Like Sun's version (used to be called Chili!Soft, now Sun ONE Active Server
    Pages). That's what our host uses (on a Linux box, of course).

    > IIS is the only thing which can run ASP. And you can buy IIS in a box.

    It even comes included with various flavours of Windoze.

    f'ups to alt.html

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Dec 3, 2003
  10. Steve wrote:

    Please don't top-post (look it up)

    > "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    >> Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >>> The server must either be:
    >>>
    >>> * Microsoft IIS; or
    >>>
    >>> * Apache with mod_perl enabled and the Apache::ASP Perl module
    >>> installed.

    >> Yes, but as the O/P was a MS-Access question I suspect he needs a
    >> Windows (IIS) server or perhaps a different RDBMS.
    >>
    >> Re-reading the O/P - it seems this could be an intranet issue. IIS
    >> is trivial to install/set up on any NT4/5 server - assuming you have
    >> the necessary admin rights.

    > So are you saying that an install of IIS will include whatever is
    > necessary to run ASP code?

    yep

    > Even dumber question, can you buy ASP in a
    > box and install it?

    Most usefully, it comes in the box with Win2k Server and Win2k3 Server.
    There is an free Option pack for NT4.

    Forget the *nix implementations if you need ASP to manage an Access
    database.
    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 3, 2003