    well accustomed on how it operates.

    If it can be in any other way other than using java tools which ones
    are most suitable for the solution.

    Andylagon, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Andylagon wrote:
    >Hie all

    What does 'Hie' mean on your planet? Please refrain
    from using local slang when posting, as it makes you
    appear foolish.

    >I have been assigned a project to research on imbedding a User
    >Interface on a web page for video conferencing module using php pages.
    >
    >I heard it is possible but I am not sure which tools to use.

    Possible yes. Practical, no. Applets embedded in web
    pages have a great number of problems. A JMF based
    applet in a web page adds to those problems, and a
    'full-trust' JMF based applet just *multiplies* the woes.

    To work, it would need the client (end-user) to not only
    separately install JMF, but also to think to select 'allow
    sound capture in applets' when installing - by default it
    is 'false'.

    (And that still leaves you to deal with all the problems
    that might crop up from using plain old applets in web
    pages.)

    >..Was
    >thinking of using the Java Media Framework, ..

    Note that JMF is a (popular but) abandoned API. Sun is
    looking to introduce the Java Media Components Framework
    in Java 7, which will leverage the power of the system's
    default player.

    Is going to Java 7 a possibility?

    >..but at the moment am not
    >well accustomed on how it operates.

    Few people are.*

    >If it can be in any other way other than using java tools which ones
    >are most suitable for the solution.

    Ultimately, I cannot understand why anybody would
    want a browser window wrapped around a media
    player (or video conferencing tool).

    Fortunately, there is a far better alternative.

    Java web start (JWS) allows you to launch an application
    or applet from a link on a web page. This results in a free
    floating app., here is an example.
    <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

    If you are looking to use web start, it is probably best to
    avoid the applet altogether and go directly to an application,
    as JWS launched applets are not resizable (without a bit
    of hacking).

    JWS can supply all the jar's and DLLs required to make
    the app. work correctly, and is not subject to the same
    restraints as imposed by the installer.

    I had an example of using JWS to launch JMF, but
    unfortunately it is off-line for the time being.

    * And as an aside, I noticed your 'me too' style
    addition to the "Video Conference over INTERNET
    code!" thread on the Sun JMF forum. If the original
    poster was anything less than a complete pillock,
    they'd have refrained from making that post altogether,
    it is an utter waste of time and bandwidth. I note
    that one single (sensible) poster to that thread either
    alluded to that, or stated it. Please take the hint.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 29, 2007

  3. Andylagon

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:22:19 -0000, Andylagon <>

    >If it can be in any other way other than using java tools which ones
    >are most suitable for the solution.

    Since you were asked to use PHP, I would think you should be looking
    for video conferencing packages that are designed to interface to PHP.

    Only after you exhausted that would you be looking for a Java-too
    solution.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Sep 29, 2007
  4. Roedy Green wrote:
    >>If it can be in any other way other than using java tools which ones
    >>are most suitable for the solution.

    >Since you were asked to use PHP, ..

    PHP can do many things on the server-side, but like
    JSP and Servlets, but as far as the end-user (or their
    browser) is concerned, it is all just HTML.

    To get something like video-conferencing working in
    that HTML, requires something that is 'active' on the
    client-side, like a Java applet or Flash plug-in.

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Andylagon

    Andylagon Guest

    On Sep 29, 2:56 pm, "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> wrote:
    > Roedy Green wrote:
    > >>If it can be in any other way other than using java tools which ones
    > >>are most suitable for the solution.

    > >Since you were asked to use PHP, ..

    > PHP can do many things on the server-side, but like
    > JSP and Servlets, but as far as the end-user (or their
    > browser) is concerned, it is all just HTML.
    >
    > To get something like video-conferencing working in
    > that HTML, requires something that is 'active' on the
    > client-side, like a Java applet or Flash plug-in.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Thompsonhttp://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson said

    To get something like video-conferencing working in
    that HTML, requires something that is 'active' on the
    client-side, like a Java applet or Flash plug-in.

    So does it mean it is possible to do it in flash, or maybe it was just
    a suggestion. JMF seems to be having too many disadvantages
    accompanied with it.

    Andylagon, Oct 2, 2007