Web Proxy Design Queries ?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Mahendra Kumar Kutare, Nov 24, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to implement a typical web proxy. If webserver and web proxy on the same machine then
    I intend to use shared memory , else sockets.

    I have few design/architecture queries regarding the same -

    a) What are the ways to find out that webserver/webproxy server are on the same machine ?
    If web client is passing request as - webclient <threads> <proxy-server> <URL(http://...>
    I am currently finding the IP address of local machine which is running webproxy server
    and then comparing that with the <proxy-server> IP address passed from webclient ? Is
    there any other way ?

    b) How do i know that webserver which is running on a machine is my own webserver? Based on port
    number ?

    c) In the case of multiple clients sending requests to same proxy server and then proxy server
    fetches response from multiple web server for different requests

    Is there any efficient way to figure how to send response back to webclient other than maintaining
    a table to keep track of which socket reach request are listening/sending data to ?

    This essentially is - HOW do i know the response sent by WEBSERVER is for a which particular CLIENT ?

    c) Similar scenario as above , but now if i am using shared memory rather than sockets. How would
    I know when to fetch the data from shared memory ? Do I use standard producer/consumer paradigm ?
    Any recommended ways ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Mahendra

    Mahendra Kumar Kutare, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Mahendra Kumar Kutare

    Ian Collins Guest

    Mahendra Kumar Kutare wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to implement a typical web proxy. If webserver and web proxy
    > on the same machine then I intend to use shared memory , else sockets.

    Both of these are platform specific and considered off topic here, you
    would do better by asking on a group for your platform.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Mahendra Kumar Kutare

    CBFalconer Guest

    Mahendra Kumar Kutare wrote:

    > I am trying to implement a typical web proxy. If webserver and
    > web proxy on the same machine then I intend to use shared memory,
    > else sockets.

    web servers, proxies, sockets are all foreign to standard ISO C,
    the topic of this newsgroup. I don't know just where you should go
    with your query, but it is not here.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Mahendra Kumar Kutare

    santosh Guest

    In article <fi8095$9n8$>, Mahendra Kumar Kutare
    <> wrote on Saturday 24 Nov 2007 7:24 am:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to implement a typical web proxy. If webserver and web
    > proxy on the same machine then I intend to use shared memory , else
    > sockets.

    <snip>

    Which system(s) are designing for? Consult appropriate groups for them.
    This group tries to restrict itself to Standard C which, by itself,
    provides nothing to solve your problems.

    For answers for UNIX try <news:comp.unix.programmer> and for Windows try

    santosh, Nov 24, 2007