Web Proxy Design Queries ?

Mahendra Kumar Kutare

Hi,

I am trying to implement a typical web proxy. If webserver and web proxy on the same machine then
I intend to use shared memory , else sockets.

I have few design/architecture queries regarding the same -

a) What are the ways to find out that webserver/webproxy server are on the same machine ?
If web client is passing request as - webclient <threads> <proxy-server> <URL(http://...>
I am currently finding the IP address of local machine which is running webproxy server
and then comparing that with the <proxy-server> IP address passed from webclient ? Is
there any other way ?

b) How do i know that webserver which is running on a machine is my own webserver? Based on port
number ?

c) In the case of multiple clients sending requests to same proxy server and then proxy server
fetches response from multiple web server for different requests

Is there any efficient way to figure how to send response back to webclient other than maintaining
a table to keep track of which socket reach request are listening/sending data to ?

This essentially is - HOW do i know the response sent by WEBSERVER is for a which particular CLIENT ?

c) Similar scenario as above , but now if i am using shared memory rather than sockets. How would
I know when to fetch the data from shared memory ? Do I use standard producer/consumer paradigm ?
Any recommended ways ?

Thanks in advance,
Mahendra

Ian Collins

Mahendra said:
Hi,

I am trying to implement a typical web proxy. If webserver and web proxy
on the same machine then I intend to use shared memory , else sockets.
Both of these are platform specific and considered off topic here, you
would do better by asking on a group for your platform.

CBFalconer

Mahendra said:
I am trying to implement a typical web proxy. If webserver and
web proxy on the same machine then I intend to use shared memory,
else sockets.

web servers, proxies, sockets are all foreign to standard ISO C,
the topic of this newsgroup. I don't know just where you should go
with your query, but it is not here.

santosh

Mahendra Kumar Kutare said:
Hi,

I am trying to implement a typical web proxy. If webserver and web
proxy on the same machine then I intend to use shared memory , else
sockets.

<snip>

Which system(s) are designing for? Consult appropriate groups for them.
This group tries to restrict itself to Standard C which, by itself,
provides nothing to solve your problems.

For answers for UNIX try <and for Windows try