Web Server Control and property tree in design time like Font has.

Mirek Endys

I have Web Server Control and I have there a property that is myClass type.
I want to display this property in design time property toolbox as property
type Font: each public property of myClass type to show in tree (like Font
properties).

What should I to do??

Thanks

Mirek

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi Mirek,

We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mirek,

As for the the making a expandable custom property in our custom ASP.NET
web server control question you mentioned, I think we need to do the
following thins for our web control and that property:

1. As for the property which we want it be expandable, we should use the
TypeConverter(typeof(ExpandableObjectConverter)),

attribute to mark it so that IDE can use expandableObjectConvevter to
parsing it hierarchially.

2. As for a property in a webserver control, we still need to make it
persisted in inline html as inner property or attrirbute, so the
PersisteMode and DesignerSerializationVisibility attribute are also needed.

To make it clearly, here is a example I've made and worked well in my local
enviornment (VS.NET 2005 PRO, WIN2K3 .NET 2.0....)

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

============================
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Text;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.ComponentModel.Design;
using System.Drawing.Design;
using System.Web.UI.Design;

namespace ControlLibrary
{

[
ToolboxData("<{0}:CustomPropertyControl
runat=server></{0}:CustomPropertyControl>"),
Designer(typeof(CustomPropertyControlDesigner)), Serializable()]
public class CustomPropertyControl : WebControl
{

private MyName _username = new MyName();

[Browsable(true), NotifyParentProperty(true),
PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerProperty),

DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content)]
public MyName UserName
{
get
{
return _username;
}
set
{
_username = value;

protected override void RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter output)
{

if(UserName != null)
output.Write("<br>Name: " + UserName.FirstName + ", " +
UserName.LastName);

[TypeConverter(typeof(ExpandableObjectConverter)),
Browsable(true),
Category("Data"),
RefreshProperties(RefreshProperties.Repaint),
Serializable(),
DefaultPropertyAttribute("FirstName"),
ToolboxItem(false),
Description("UserName Property class")]
public class MyName
{
private string _fname;
private string _lname;

public MyName()
{
_fname = string.Empty;
_lname = string.Empty;
}

public MyName(string firstname, string lastname)
{
_fname = firstname;
_lname = lastname;
}

[NotifyParentProperty(true)]
public string FirstName
{
get { return _fname; }
set { _fname = value; }
}

[NotifyParentProperty(true)]
public string LastName
{
get { return _lname; }
set { _lname = value; }

public class CustomPropertyControlDesigner : ControlDesigner
{
public override string GetDesignTimeHtml()
{
return "<br/><font size='20'>CustomPropertyControl Design-Time
HTML.</font>";
--------------------
| From: "Mirek Endys" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Web Server Control and property tree in design time like Font
has.
| Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:23:19 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| I have Web Server Control and I have there a property that is myClass
type.
| I want to display this property in design time property toolbox as
property
| type Font: each public property of myClass type to show in tree (like
Font
| properties).
|
| What should I to do??
|
| Thanks
|
| Mirek

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mirek,

How are you doing on this? Does the suggestions in my last message helps
you? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here.
Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:24:21 GMT
| Subject: RE: Web Server Control and property tree in design time like
Font has.
> [...]
Design-Time
| HTML.</font>";
| }
| }
| }
| =============================================
| --------------------
| | From: "Mirek Endys" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Web Server Control and property tree in design time like Font
| has.
| | Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:23:19 +0100
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | I have Web Server Control and I have there a property that is myClass
| type.
| | I want to display this property in design time property toolbox as
| property
| | type Font: each public property of myClass type to show in tree (like
| |
| | What should I to do??
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | Mirek
| |
| |
| |
| |

Mirek Endys

Yes, it helps me. You are GURU :)
I thought that it will be an attribute. But I didnt know which.

Thanks alot.

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

Design-Time
| HTML.</font>";
| }
| }
| }
| =============================================
| --------------------
| | From: "Mirek Endys" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Web Server Control and property tree in design time like Font
| has.
| | Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:23:19 +0100
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | I have Web Server Control and I have there a property that is myClass
| type.
| | I want to display this property in design time property toolbox as
| property
| | type Font: each public property of myClass type to show in tree (like
| |
| | What should I to do??
| |
| | Thanks
| |
| | Mirek
| |
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Mirek,

Good luck!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?TWlyZWsgRW5keXM=?=" <Mirek
(e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: RE: Web Server Control and property tree in design time like Font
| Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:17:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Yes, it helps me. You are GURU :)
| I thought that it will be an attribute. But I didnt know which.
|
| Thanks alot.
|

| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Mirek,
| >
| > How are you doing on this? Does the suggestions in my last message
helps
| > you? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
here.
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:24:21 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Web Server Control and property tree in design time like
| > Font has.
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | Hi Mirek,
| > |
| > | As for the the making a expandable custom property in our custom
ASP.NET
| > | web server control question you mentioned, I think we need to do the
| > | following thins for our web control and that property:
| > |
| > | 1. As for the property which we want it be expandable, we should use
the
| > | TypeConverter(typeof(ExpandableObjectConverter)),
| > |
| > | attribute to mark it so that IDE can use expandableObjectConvevter to
| > | parsing it hierarchially.
| > |
| > | 2. As for a property in a webserver control, we still need to make it
| > | persisted in inline html as inner property or attrirbute, so the
| > | PersisteMode and DesignerSerializationVisibility attribute are also
| > needed.
| > |
| > |
| > | To make it clearly, here is a example I've made and worked well in my
| > local
| > | enviornment (VS.NET 2005 PRO, WIN2K3 .NET 2.0....)
| > |
| > | Hope helps. Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > | ============================
| > | using System;
| > | using System.Collections.Generic;
| > | using System.ComponentModel;
| > | using System.Text;
| > | using System.Web;
| > | using System.Web.UI;
| > | using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
| > | using System.ComponentModel.Design;
| > | using System.Drawing.Design;
| > | using System.Web.UI.Design;
| > |
| > |
| > | namespace ControlLibrary
| > | {
| > |
| > | [
| > | ToolboxData("<{0}:CustomPropertyControl
| > | runat=server></{0}:CustomPropertyControl>"),
| > | Designer(typeof(CustomPropertyControlDesigner)), Serializable()]
| > | public class CustomPropertyControl : WebControl
| > | {
| > |
| > | private MyName _username = new MyName();
| > |
| > | [Browsable(true), NotifyParentProperty(true),
| > | PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerProperty),
| > |
| > |
DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content)]
| > | public MyName UserName
| > | {
| > | get
| > | {
| > | return _username;
| > | }
| > | set
| > | {
| > | _username = value;
| > | }
| > |
| > | }
| > |
| > | protected override void RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter output)
| > | {
| > |
| > |
| > | if(UserName != null)
| > | output.Write("<br>Name: " + UserName.FirstName + ", " +
| > | UserName.LastName);
| > | }
| > | }
| > |
| > |
| > | [TypeConverter(typeof(ExpandableObjectConverter)),
| > | Browsable(true),
| > | Category("Data"),
| > | RefreshProperties(RefreshProperties.Repaint),
| > | Serializable(),
| > | DefaultPropertyAttribute("FirstName"),
| > | ToolboxItem(false),
| > | Description("UserName Property class")]
| > | public class MyName
| > | {
| > | private string _fname;
| > | private string _lname;
| > |
| > | public MyName()
| > | {
| > | _fname = string.Empty;
| > | _lname = string.Empty;
| > | }
| > |
| > | public MyName(string firstname, string lastname)
| > | {
| > | _fname = firstname;
| > | _lname = lastname;
| > | }
| > |
| > | [NotifyParentProperty(true)]
| > | public string FirstName
| > | {
| > | get { return _fname; }
| > | set { _fname = value; }
| > | }
| > |
| > | [NotifyParentProperty(true)]
| > | public string LastName
| > | {
| > | get { return _lname; }
| > | set { _lname = value; }
| > | }
| > | }
| > |
| > |
| > | public class CustomPropertyControlDesigner : ControlDesigner
| > | {
| > | public override string GetDesignTimeHtml()
| > | {
| > | return "<br/><font size='20'>CustomPropertyControl
| > Design-Time
| > | HTML.</font>";
| > | }
| > | }