Web Service access a file (read only) via a URL?

Tom

Is there any way to let a Web Service access (i.e. read) a file via a UNC?
And what if this file exists on a different server? For example, my web service
needs to be able to read some 'encrypted' data that is in a text-only file
that MAY or MAY NOT be located on the server itself. I am passing into the
web service the URL needed to access the file. I haven't tried it yet but
I am afraid that this will generate security issues.

Any way (or what is the best way) to do this? Thanks in advance.