Web Service App: Exception in Application_Start returns "yellow screen" instead of SoapException

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris, Jan 31, 2007.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hey guys,

    I'm pulling my hair. I have a bunch of web services, some IHttpModules
    and some SoapExtensions that get loaded through the web.config. When
    there is an exception in one of those modules or extensions during a
    web request ASP.Net should send a nice SoapException in XML format
    back to the web service client.

    The problem is, it doesn't. Rather it sends bunch of "yellow page"
    HTML, the same kind of error page with stack trace etc. you get to see
    in regular web apps.

    Of course I can catch these exceptions. However, I still need to send
    a well-formed SoapException message to the web service client. So far
    I couldn't find a way to accomplish that. Does anybody have an idea
    what I need to do? Hook into some event? Write a trap-all extension or
    module?

    Thanks, Christoph
    Chris, Jan 31, 2007