Web service, forms authentication and DefaultCredentials

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by SP, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. SP

    SP Guest

    Hello All,

    I have a webservice application (ASP.NET 2.0) and a .NET client executable
    which consumes the web services. The current model has username / password
    collected by the client application and passed to the webservice. What I am
    required to do is to make this application use active directory to
    authenticate the users and possibly implement a single sign on.

    I can easily extend the existing model where I collect the username /
    password pass it to the server construct a NetworkCredentials object on the
    server and authenticate it against the active directory, what I've been
    asked to do is as follows :

    Collect the current user's credentials
    (CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials) from the machine where the
    client executable is running, and (somehow) pass this credentials object to
    the server and on the server authenticate this object against the active
    directory. My questions are 1) Whether this is possible and 2) If this is
    possible, is this the correct approach? I have found lots of articles which
    suggest using integrated windows authentication on IIS, however I am being
    forced to not use it.

    Can anyone please help me? guide me to any 'howto' article or something like
    that.

    TIA,

    SP

    SP, Jun 27, 2007