Web Service Performance

nirk

Hi

my objective is to create a web service which will be running on a remote PC.The client PC will host a web application.
The request/ response will be in asynchronous mode (currently i am thinking in this direction Pls let me know if any alternative is there).The web service will generate a file containing around 10,000 records or more. Once this file is generated it shd be uploaded to the client PC .I am planning to use FTP if possible(again if any other alternative is there let me know).
Now

using web service to generate a file with 10,000 records can be time
consuming and will use IIS resources un-necessarily so the performance of
web service can be affected.
Is there any suitable aletrnative.

There is a site //www.ingorammer.com/RemotingFAQ/RemotingUseCases.html which compares performance of
IIS remoting Binary, TCP remoting, ASP.NET

any similar site which compares web service with .NET remoting and COM+.

Thanks in advance
nirk

Jan Tielens

Hi

I noticed your question a a few times and I don't have a clear answer for
it, but since no other persons replied to it, here are my 2 cents...

You could pass a huge amount of data with a webservice, BUT I would
recommend to split it into smaller chunks. Another possibility is to create
the huge file on the server, and let it download to the client pc through
http or ftp. If you need more info, just post a more specific question.

I'm not aware of a document that compares COM+ performance with Remoting,
but following document may be of intrest to you:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnetarch16.asp

--
Greetz,
Jan
nirk said:
Hi

my objective is to create a web service which will be running on a remote
PC.The client PC will host a web application.
The request/ response will be in asynchronous mode (currently i am
thinking in this direction Pls let me know if any alternative is there).The
web service will generate a file containing around 10,000 records or more.
Once this file is generated it shd be uploaded to the client PC .I am
planning to use FTP if possible(again if any other alternative is there let
me know).

Nadimus

In order to send data in smaller chunks/responses you don't need to do
much. By default, Web Service methods and properties buffer responses
in chunks. The BufferResponse(WebMethod Attribute) is set to True.
....my 2 cents...