Web Site Headers

Guest

I have a simple question that I would like some opinions on regarding common
web site headers. I have several web sites (IIS 6), spread across different
physical machines that have the same web site header. They are currently a
mix of ASP.NET 2.0, 1.1, and plain old HTML pages. For years, I have used
ASP.NET user controls for the server-side headers and external JavaScript
files to inject the common headers into the HTML files. What I would like is
a single header source for every different type of page I serve (ASP.NET and
HTML). Without migrating my HTML to ASP.NET, is external JavaScript the best
way to do this (I don’t particularly care for this method)? What kind of
performance implication would using server-side includes have? I’d just like
some opinions on what seems like a remedial subject.

clintonG

One design may consider the header area as if it were a banner ad served
from server-side code to multiple requesting websites. Static HTML pages
could require the use of JavaScript or an #include directive but dynamic
pages such as those compiled on the server would probably have some other
method to respond to some type of request to send the contents of the header
to a requesting page. I keep thinking of the banner ad model and that is how
I would think of populating a bunch of different pages with the same header
requested from a central source.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-88043838&z=17&l=0&m=h