webapp restarting every once in a while?

Flip

I have a web app running on w2k3server, and I have an application level
variable for a counter. Every once in a while today (I just put this live
last night), that counter value is reset to 1 when I hit the page, and I can
see the page taking longer to reload (I figure it's recompiling).

If I haven't redeployed that webapp, why would that page/app be recompiling
itself? Why is the application variable (set after I do an
Application.lock()) being reset and the page recompiling unless of course my
machine is being hacked into?

Any thoughts please? Thank you.

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

Its probably the worker process set to recycle every n minutes, that will
drop the application and cause a recompile at next request and reset the
settings.

In IIS6 its a value in the IIS management consol for that application, in
IIS5 its a setting in machine.config

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Flip

In IIS6 its a value in the IIS management consol for that application, in
IIS5 its a setting in machine.config
Thank you John. I'll try looking into both of those tonight! :>

Flip

Its probably the worker process set to recycle every n minutes, that will
hhhmmm Once the aspx is compiled, shouldn't it keep that compiled copy on
the file system? In j2ee, once the .class file is created, it's always
used. That's not the case here?
In IIS6 its a value in the IIS management consol for that application, in
IIS5 its a setting in machine.config
Can I use the machine.config or an application file (global.aspx?) to set it
by application?

Flip

Its probably the worker process set to recycle every n minutes, that will
drop the application and cause a recompile at next request and reset the
settings.

In IIS6 its a value in the IIS management consol for that application, in
IIS5 its a setting in machine.config
Hi John. I tried looking in IIS6 in the management console, but couldn't
for the life of me find anything that remotely looked like this type of
setting. Any other ideas?

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

its a checkbox under the application pools section