webconfig error

Buz Waitz

I have prepared a site on one machine, but when I move the site to the
machine I wish to use as a host, I have problems. If I use a default.htm
file, I have no trouble accessing the site. However, if I use a default.sapx
file, I get an error from the webconfig authentication section. The error
says that "It is an error to use a section registered as
in IIS." However, I believe I have set up IIS properly. As nearly as I can
tell, IIS on both machines is set up identically. Any ideas?

Thanks

Buz
(e-mail address removed)

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Buz,

Based on my research and experience, please try the following solutions on
your side.

1. Make sure that the web application is created.

1) Go to IIS

2) Right click the folder of your web application and select properties.

3) Click the "Create" button in the Directory tab.

4) Restart the IIS and test this issue again.

2. If there is a virtual directory in the site with the same application
name as the application name of the root website, it will also cause such
an error.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Oliver

Hi Buz,

Is it possible that there's a directory above the new one that is also set
as an application? That might be causing trouble in the hierarchy.

You might have to start low and work your way up the levels to find nested
apps.

Let us know how you solve it?

Buz Waitz

Thank you, Jacob.

Well, that worked. Now I have a new and much more impressive error
message. ASP is evidently not authorized to do something in a tempoary
folder buried way down the directory tree.

Thanks for the help...ain't progress grand!

Thanks, Jacob.

Buz

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Buz,

I am glad to know that we have resolved the original error.

For the new problem, would you please tell me the exact error message? Is
there any other detailed information? It will be helpful for the trouble
shooting.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

James

Jacob:

Thank you very much for this information. The info below that you
posted is finally what solved my problem. I wasn't aware this was even
there. On one web server (development box), the virtual app was under
the Default Web Site and ran ok, but on the production box there is a
"Default Web Site", "Administration Web Site", and "Localhost" web
site. I had to actually go into the folder under the "Localhost" node
and create it as an application there, whereas on my Dev box it was
under the "Default Web Site". This was very confusing. I would prefer
my App to run under the Default Web Site node, but I didn't know how
to change it to point there.

Thanks again,

James Lankford

2. If there is a virtual directory in the site with the same
application
name as the application name of the root website, it will also cause
such
an error.

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi James,

A simple solution is using XCopy to deploy your web application to the
"Default Web Site". Based on my research, the following article is useful
to you.

HOW TO: Deploy an ASP.NET Web Application Using Xcopy Deployment
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326355