    page width?

    How does this analogy apply to cell height?

    Thanks ahead
    fermineutron, May 8, 2007

  2. fermineutron

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 8 May, 16:20, fermineutron <> wrote:

    > what is a printable area width and height of a webpage?

    Use CSS, and use length units of mm (or points for font sizes).
    Normally we always advocate using length units of ems for "fluid
    design" on screen, but this sort of printing application is where it's
    appropriate to use these absolute units.

    You can't control the print margins of where a web pages' canvas is
    placed on the paper. Nor can you control the paper size selected for
    printing. You need to have the user set this manually in their
    browser. If they're using IE though, MeadCo's ScriptX ActiveX control
    can set this for you automatically.
    Andy Dingley, May 8, 2007

  3. fermineutron

    fermineutron Guest

    On May 8, 11:53 am, Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    > On 8 May, 16:20, fermineutron <> wrote:
    >
    > > what is a printable area width and height of a webpage?

    > Use CSS, and use length units of mm (or points for font sizes).
    > Normally we always advocate using length units of ems for "fluid
    > design" on screen, but this sort of printing application is where it's
    > appropriate to use these absolute units.
    >
    > You can't control the print margins of where a web pages' canvas is
    > placed on the paper. Nor can you control the paper size selected for
    > printing. You need to have the user set this manually in their
    > browser. If they're using IE though, MeadCo's ScriptX ActiveX control
    > can set this for you automatically.

    Thank you
    fermineutron, May 8, 2007
  4. fermineutron

    Ed Mullen Guest

    fermineutron wrote:
    > A friend of mine asked me to make a tool which will let her print
    > graph paper with cells of chosen size. I want to make a php script to
    > output a table with cells being a given size to yeild graphpater when
    > webpage is printed. What I need to know is:
    >
    > what is a printable area width and height of a webpage? I do realize
    > that the height part is somewhat hard to judge because webpage can go
    > on and on and on.... What is a pizel resolution of webpage in relation
    > to printer resolution? If user has his desktop resolution set to say
    > 1024x768 vs user who has resolution set 800x600 if i put a table with
    > width 90% will this table when printed by both users occupy 90% of the
    > page width?
    >
    > How does this analogy apply to cell height?
    >
    > Thanks ahead

    Not sure why you want to do this using a browser. Why not a table in
    Word where you can set the row and column dimensions explicitly in
    fractions of an inch for printing?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 8, 2007
  5. fermineutron

    Bergamot Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > fermineutron wrote:
    >> A friend of mine asked me to make a tool which will let her print
    >> graph paper with cells of chosen size. I want to make a php script to
    >> output a table
    >>

    > Not sure why you want to do this using a browser. Why not a table in
    > Word

    Seems to me a spreadsheet would be better suited to this.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, May 8, 2007
  6. fermineutron

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Bergamot wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> fermineutron wrote:
    >>> A friend of mine asked me to make a tool which will let her print
    >>> graph paper with cells of chosen size. I want to make a php script to
    >>> output a table
    >>>

    >> Not sure why you want to do this using a browser. Why not a table in
    >> Word

    > Seems to me a spreadsheet would be better suited to this.

    That's what I thought at first. I gave a quick look in Excel 2000 and
    it may be possible but exact sizing of row and columns isn't immediately
    apparent. Sizing of row height and column width seems to be related to
    point size. Newer versions may have finer control of those settings, I
    just don't know.

    Word 2000, on the other hand, allows very specific sizing of table cells
    height and width in fractions of an inch.

    Also, while I haven't explored this, I would think that Photoshop or
    Paint Shop Pro would probably have the facility to produce a grid image
    of specific layout/size.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 8, 2007
  7. fermineutron

    El Kabong Guest

    Excel is the greatest _if_ the mailing list is being built internally but if
    the list is developed from an on line opt-in form, sometimes you need to be
    able to pull that data into something printable.

    CSS, combined with ColdFusion templates does a great job at this sort of
    thing. If the lists weren't confidential, I would direct you to one of the
    two sites I have where this is done. Maybe I can post some sample code
    later.

    El

    El Kabong, May 8, 2007