WebParts - Export/Import cycle

Robert Bogue [MVP]

I've got a test harness I've been building and playing with to manage
ASP.NET web parts. One thing I've noticed is that I do not seem to be able
to reimport the webparts I've exported back on to the same page.

I added a web part from the declarative catalog. I exported the web part.
I tried to import the web part and when I tried to actually add the control
to the page, I got a generic error that it couldn't be added.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Rob

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Rob,

Thank you for posting.

As for the ASP.NET 2.0 WebPart exporting/importing issue you mentioned, I
think it is likely a webpart or page specific issue. Based on my local
testing , I can correctly export an WebPart control and import it again. Is
the error message indicate that the problem is with the webpart file?
Based on my experience, if the exported webpart file is accidently
corrupted, the runtime will throw exception when importing the
webpart(through the webpart file. Also, are you exporting a custom
developed webpart (inherited from base part class) or just use a
usercontrol (or other server control) wrapped generic webpart?

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Robert Bogue [MVP]

There's no indication of what the error is. It's one of those lovely
generic error messages that I've become used to.

The control is a Server/Web control derived from WebPart. The .WebPart file
appears to be correct as far as that goes. However, it just doesn't want to
load it dynamically.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the Import catalog?

Rob

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Rob,

Then, it'll be quite hard to address the point. So far I haven't got any
specific troubleshooting interface for importCatalog control. However, if
you have a live debugger like windbg, we may get the underlying exception
and the callstack at the problem thread.
BTW, I think this should be an environment or control specific issue since
this is a quite common scenrio.